Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats your opinion on mounting gas tanks?

I have heard several folk who use leather or rubber on the backbone to help with vibration(I guess the leather is glued on??? I like my back mount to be bolted/screwed into a 3/8" bung in the frame.. but the hidden front mount with the rubber isolators...are these any good? or should the mount bars just be bolted straight to the tank with no rubber isolators? I have heard from a couple older fellows to just forget any rubber and just soild mount the tank...but a piece of rubber/leather does seem nice along the backbone.
What are your thoughts or experiences with tank mounting???

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
My tank is mounted to 3/8" tapped holes in the backbone of an old H-D wishbone rigid frame. Mounted the same way at the front and back. I have a piece of old inner tube under the tank at each mount point. Not for isolation, just there to protect the paint. Six years and 70K+ miles and no issues at all. No stress cracks, never had the tank loosen up, etc.

-Craig

·
6,351 Posts
Mount that fucker as solidly as possible the the backbone; try to make it part of the bike so it can't vibrate/wobble independently and break mounts, bolts, etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like rubber mounts. Infact the way old Zukis are done are my favorite way to mount them. If dont correctly, there wont be any issues with vibrations, breakage or anything else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts