Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
an older dood sent me these photos of this tank and we are both trying to figure out who made it. more out of curiosity i guess.
it has not beem modified in any way.
the photos are a little on the cruddy side and make the tank look a little wider than it actually is.
the tank is about 8 - 8 1/2 inches at the widest point.
looks alot like a wassell but different type of cap.
it has dual petcock holes all the way to the back of the tank as well. one on each side.

anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Made in Japan Wassel Pnut, takes the Bayonet cap like the older Harleys, I have had a few........Roach.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
you may be right Roach.
im thinkin maybe early GME peanut tank?
i dont think its stamped "japan" anywhere though. those were all stamped "Japan"

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rich,
would there be any stamping on the tank anywhere to help identify,if so?

·
Registered
755 Posts
I don't think it's the Japanese tank. If it were it should be stamped Daisho Made in Japan in the tunnel.

The Daisho's also had the petcocks pointed almost directly out the back. I'll take a pic of my Daisho tomorrow for reference.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mr. Stinky.:D

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ill take some better photos of it when he drops it off tonight.
ill look for any stamping as well.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Well, I didn't get out to Dad's machine shop to get a pic today. Sorry about that.

I did dig through my phone to find a pic of the tank:

Not the best pic so I found these online. This is a match for my Daisho, the only difference being I lowered the tunnel in mine quite a bit.

I'd say your friend's is not a Daisho, based on the shape of the tank and the petcock bungs.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmm...i think your right.
it isnt a Diasho. but i will know for a fact in about an hour or so.
thanks for posting the photos though.
thats a crazy front end! i dig it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
thats a crazy front end! i dig it.
Thanks - that was a lot of hand cranking on the Bridgeport. The legs are about 4" longer than the bed travels so I had to pull the part, move it down and realign to pick up the cut. I was planning on cutting some windows in the legs since it looks a little heavy, but at this point I just want to take it for a ride.

It's not the best looking bike in the world, but it's the first one I built. I built it with my dad and I learned a lot. I'm proud of it.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so here it is.
its 9 inches wide
13 inches long
offset bayonet cap.
and no markings at all....lol!
still stumped

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry to bud in here, if it's stamped made in japan it can be a wassell tank? My brother was given an older tank off a sportster that's marked made in japan. I don't think it has a cap on it. I'll look at it again tomorrow.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Not to play favorites here, but there are much worse perpitrators of this nature on this board. I'm sure the other dude's are good, honest guys, but I know Chico is in my dealings with him. I'm not gonna name any names but at any given time you may find multiple threads on the front page scavaging for part I.D.'s, (possibly from the same person, again no names) while that very part is listed in the classifieds. Whatta ya gonna do huh?;)

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
...hmm...midday soap opra's must be over or something.

well,who cares if it's for sale.
it's not fitting my backbone the way i wanted it too with the proportions of my bike.
i started this thread to figure out the MAKE of the tank BEFORE,i even had it in my possesion. so i really had no idea if it was going to work or not on my build until late last night when it arrived.

if i can't use something,it goes up for sale or trade,so i can get what i actually need.
and im sure most do the same as well.

..hate on.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Not to play favorites here, but there are much worse perpitrators of this nature on this board. I'm sure the other dude's are good, honest guys, but I know Chico is in my dealings with him. I'm not gonna name any names but at any given time you may find multiple threads on the front page scavaging for part I.D.'s, (possibly from the same person, again no names) while that very part is listed in the classifieds. Whatta ya gonna do huh?;)
Hey,,he means me :D,,,Yes I ask fro ID,,also some things I just like to share cause I think there cool. Many thing on the main find there way to the swap, hell I have even bought and sold stuff from people when asking on the main board. Why you decide to single me out and compare to him, I have no idea,,but then again,,who cares...

Have a safe New Year everyone

and no names ?? really ?? come on buck up ,,just say it out loud

1 - 20 of 32 Posts