Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with the ethonal gas causing problems with the rubber parts in the fuel system of my Moto Guzzi, I replaced the fuel lines with the teflon lined fuel injection lines, but rubber gaskets in the petcocks are leaking after only 1 year. Is there an additive that I can use or what.....:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
Try to find Viton gaskets/orings/etc....they tend to hold up a bit better to the shit gas we're dumping into tanks.

The "normal" rubber or bunna-n o-rings simply get eaten quickly by this gas mixture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
837 Posts
i'll get in here before this gets locked...
really, the ethanol isn't necessarily what's eating the rubber components. yes, ethanol is a bit hard on *some* rubber... but the other additives in modern gasoline are more so.

on a positive note: ever notice what the octane is of higher ethanol content gasolines? yeah... it's pretty high. E85 (85% ethanol) is 105 to 107 octane (depends what makes up the other 15%).
Ethanol is a cheap* octane booster

*insert whatever political rant you like here about subsidies, etc...

i'm building my 12.5:1 sporty motor to run on just E85 and a lot of ignition advance.
it'll f'ing haul ass.
i've also upped my jets ~35% and run E85 in my '67 11:1 xlh with a ton of advance. torque monster. (bitch to start, though :) )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,698 Posts
So kickstarts,

What do YOU run, and how far from home?

....Cotten
What do I run? Super, the cheapest I can find. How far from home? As far as I care to go.

Never had a problem with the quality of any gas in any bike as long as you don't let em sit with gas in the carb for an extended period of time. Got a few tanks of water but that's about it. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
Can't let the good Doctor down...

Here's Buna-N in P4gas (attached).

The problem is: straight ethanol doesn't do anything to Buna-N!

....Cotten
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is P4gas. Is that regular petroleum, like before ethanol. please explain a little more for me. Apparently i must have missed some other post where you already explained this.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top