Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Kickstarter said:
I want to combine my oil tank into the gas tank. Are there going to be any heat issues I need to worry about?
I have been thinking of doing the same thing....and wondering the same question....

I know that in the old days....flatheads....they had fat bob tanks with one side being the oil.....but there is space between them.....what would happen if the oil tank was inside the gas???!!?! Hummm...

·
Registered
770 Posts
i could of swore we had a thread on this. I am pretty sure you just use a thicker gauge steel for the oil bag walls to dissapate heat. From what I reacall it was mighty simple.

·
Registered
825 Posts
tbone16 said:
i could of swore we had a thread on this. I am pretty sure you just use a thicker gauge steel for the oil bag walls to dissapate heat. From what I reacall it was mighty simple.
Excellent ICON!!!

·
TI_Tuesday
1,444 Posts
No problems. My old tank had it and the new one I had made has it. I think the key is to have have a space between the walls. This should reduce the heat transfer to the gas portion.

My new tank is long and the oil section is back at the skinny end of the tank so there's plenty of metal that will be exposed to air. I've seen inner oil tanks and one would think it would stay hotter that way.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
The old harley WLA had a set-up like that, but it was a TOTAL LOSS oil system. As long as your oil pump can push the oil into the higher tank, shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
770 Posts
big_al said:
Excellent ICON!!!
Thanks Al, a vw forum admin made it for me without my consent. I just logged in one day, and there it was. I was lookin a little boring like over here, so i figured why not.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I LOVE that bike!!! Love!!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Me too, it's so mechanical and covered with interesting detail. Something is bugging me, though: do you think the rear wheel can hold up under all that braking force? Dual two-pot calipers, and what size is that tire, 230? Dang, poor little invaders.

big_al said:
I LOVE that bike!!! Love!!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Ok, now that I looked at the other pics on your website that tire looks smaller. The side shot was fooling me.

How does the rear end feel when you stop? Is there any noticeable flex? Did you have to run a larger M/C to feed both calipers? You're definitely overbraked at the rear, but it looks cool as hell.

DETAILS, MAN, DETAILS!
churchofchoppers said:
that back tire is a 140 or 150.......

·
Registered
427 Posts
JEB said:
Ok, now that I looked at the other pics on your website that tire looks smaller. The side shot was fooling me.

How does the rear end feel when you stop? Is there any noticeable flex? Did you have to run a larger M/C to feed both calipers? You're definitely overbraked at the rear, but it looks cool as hell.

DETAILS, MAN, DETAILS!
I don't know if you run PM brakes before...I first hand will tell you the price you pay for them dam brakes they are no better then stock calipers...so IMHO it's not over braked....I've never tried the PM race calipers that maybe the trick...very busy looking bike I dig it....

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Panman51 said:
The old harley WLA had a set-up like that, but it was a TOTAL LOSS oil system. As long as your oil pump can push the oil into the higher tank, shouldn't be a problem.
Wrong. Very wrong. Earlier 45s were total loss. Harley had figured out circulating oil systems by the time of the WL (late '30s).

There isn's that much of a gap between the oil and fuel tanks on my WL. There's definitely not going to be the chance of vapor locking the fuel tank. I don't see where the problem is.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Chopper Chaz said:
I don't know if you run PM brakes before...I first hand will tell you the price you pay for them dam brakes they are no better then stock calipers...so IMHO it's not over braked....I've never tried the PM race calipers that maybe the trick...very busy looking bike I dig it....
My rear drum brakes lock up.......stock disks lock up more easily......so what does it mean to be over braked.....I mean really, if they lock up, do you want them to lock harder? Dual disks..waste IMHO

On the front...dual disks are nice though....but front is different...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts