Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the day
,Gary littlejohn Built Some way kool rides,The one that sticks in my mind is a wild pan it was fetured on the front cover of our english magazine motorcycle mechanics in I think feb 68 issue,i had a copy in the early eighties but it got lost! The Bike Was Built for The Film The savage seven,It was a real show & go Bike ,It had a silver Fish scale paint job on the frame and a crazy tuck n roll effect paint job on the sides of the tank ,a narrow mustang tank that sat low on the frame ,short chrome springers with a 21" and a big ole high sissy bar, and the motor was all chromed up, do any of you guys in the states remember this bike, have any info on it ? or does it still exsist.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The Baron said:
Back in the day
,Gary littlejohn Built Some way kool rides,The one that sticks in my mind is a wild pan it was fetured on the front cover of our english magazine motorcycle mechanics in I think feb 68 issue,i had a copy in the early eighties but it got lost! The Bike Was Built for The Film The savage seven,It was a real show & go Bike ,It had a silver Fish scale paint job on the frame and a crazy tuck n roll effect paint job on the sides of the tank ,a narrow mustang tank that sat low on the frame ,short chrome springers with a 21" and a big ole high sissy bar, and the motor was all chromed up, do any of you guys in the states remember this bike, have any info on it ? or does it still exsist.
did he build sidehacks for bmx bikes????

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey lucky ,
Got no Idea All I know is he built way Kool Bikes for 60's Biker "B" movies and rode the shit outta them , He had a kustom bike store an Then became a Hollywood stunt man.

Garry Littlejohn Where are you I need Some Answers?

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Apehanger Hank said:
He made killer tanks too!
Hank
Yes, that's the only way I remembered his name..he was famous for the Prismic/coffin style custom tanks..my scanner is dead otherwise I could post a page out of an old catalog, sorry..

·
Registered
789 Posts
I can't speak with any authority on Gary Littlejohn's contributions to the chopper scene, but in late 1973 there was a SoCal-based BMX mail-order company called CYC that sold Littlejohn-Murphy monoshock frames and sidehacks for BMX. My friend Greg Esser was a monkey on a Littlejohn sidehack with his pilot Brian Webb, and I bought a Littlejohn Murphy monoshock frame from CYC. It was my first real BMX bike, and I got it January of '74--one month after my mom gifted me with a Schwinn Orange Krate for Christmas. I raped the Orange Krate and built up the Littlejohn Murphy monoshock frame to enter my first race in February of '74. The chrome coil-over shock seemed spongy to me, however, so I replaced it with a 7/8-inch seatpost with holes drilled in both ends to lock out the articulating movement of my frame. CYC went out of business by '76 or so, probably because they were too ahead of their time (BMX mail-order didn't really hit its stride until Rockville BMX got off the ground in the early to mid-'80s.) What does this have to do with coffin tanks? Not a motherscratchin' thing; I just wanted to wax nostalgic for all you old school BMXers out there like Boylecomm and The Flyin' Dutchman. Thanks for letting me ramble...

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
halwade said:
I can't speak with any authority on Gary Littlejohn's contributions to the chopper scene, but in late 1973 there was a SoCal-based BMX mail-order company called CYC that sold Littlejohn-Murphy monoshock frames and sidehacks for BMX. My friend Greg Esser was a monkey on a Littlejohn sidehack with his pilot Brian Webb, and I bought a Littlejohn Murphy monoshock frame from CYC. It was my first real BMX bike, and I got it January of '74--one month after my mom gifted me with a Schwinn Orange Krate for Christmas. I raped the Orange Krate and built up the Littlejohn Murphy monoshock frame to enter my first race in February of '74. The chrome coil-over shock seemed spongy to me, however, so I replaced it with a 7/8-inch seatpost with holes drilled in both ends to lock out the articulating movement of my frame. CYC went out of business by '76 or so, probably because they were too ahead of their time (BMX mail-order didn't really hit its stride until Rockville BMX got off the ground in the early to mid-'80s.) What does this have to do with coffin tanks? Not a motherscratchin' thing; I just wanted to wax nostalgic for all you old school BMXers out there like Boylecomm and The Flyin' Dutchman. Thanks for letting me ramble...
In February of 1974, my first son was born........

You can see the Littlejohn Pan in Hells Angels On Wheels, especially in the scenes after the wedding. Littlejohn was an extra in that, too. He's pretty easy to pick out. He's the guy who goes thru the whole barfight scene at the beginning of the movie, and never looses the cigarette out of his mouth.

·
Registered
607 Posts
He is also the guy (In Hells Angels on Wheels) on the red Sportster flattracking one handed about an inch off of a car, while trying to grope the girl in the car. I looked online for pix of the bikes he built, or brochures of the motorcycle products, and all I got back was info about his stunt work.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ChopperMark said:
He is also the guy (In Hells Angels on Wheels) on the red Sportster flattracking one handed about an inch off of a car, while trying to grope the girl in the car. I looked online for pix of the bikes he built, or brochures of the motorcycle products, and all I got back was info about his stunt work.
it was a "k" flattie,From What I remember,He was in a shit load of those old movies ;Devils angels he was that Beatnik artist that they broke outta the can,I think, there was some kool as fuck rides in them old movies, Wild Angels had some way kool rides ,and rebel rousers had a kool siwng arm pre unit trump ,an a kool old big "Enfild connie 700"bobbed out! Shit man I gotta start building some more real period Pieces., i just luv'em.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Awesome Baron. I haven't seen it for a while but I am thinking that it may have been a KR, it didn't have a headlight. There are some great looking bikes in "The Wild Angels" in particular a blue Harley with white seats, grips, etc, and Z-bars. I think the bike that Mr.Fonda rides in that movie is way cooler than Captain America. Your bike "The Delinquent" looks like a period piece to me, like you went back in a time machine.

·
Registered
726 Posts
The Baron said:
it was a "k" flattie,From What I remember,He was in a shit load of those old movies ;Devils angels he was that Beatnik artist that they broke outta the can,I think, there was some kool as fuck rides in them old movies, Wild Angels had some way kool rides ,and rebel rousers had a kool siwng arm pre unit trump ,an a kool old big "Enfild connie 700"bobbed out! Shit man I gotta start building some more real period Pieces., i just luv'em.
Just watched that movie, Hells Angels on Wheels, last week...that guy was an animal. Wheelies, hillclimbs, riding around on roofs....all kinds of crazy shit.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hey This Is What the Barons Is All about "Daddyo"Way Kool Ole Candy & Chrome With Attitude ,Hey The Candy blue pan With The Z bars In Wild Angels Was one of the Koolest Lane Spliters I ever saw When i was a Kid ,That color scheme inspired the delinquent, wait till ya see my own personal next pre unit trump ride ,coming together after Ewans Bike.Glad you like What i do . Stay in touch!

Thanks The Baron. PS Thanks To ya'll for Vot'in for ole Von Beatink in the retroradar pin up comp.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Blurb from the ABA Hall of fame induction in 1998

"Arguably, the FIRST manufacturer of a rigid BMX frame. Most famous for his production of Littlejohn sidehacks (a sidecar-mounted BMX bike). Manufactured BMX bikes from 1973 until 1985. As a manufacturer of motorcycle frames and gas tanks, part-time Hollywood stuntman Gary Littlejohn and his partner, Peter Murphy, were requested to build a BMX frame in 1973 By 1975, Gary Littlejohn had a full line of BMX bikes, ranging from mono-shocks to rigids, from forks to sidehacks Sponsored such early BMX heroes such as Billy Wouda and Bill McIntyre. In 1976, much to the heckling of the industry, Gary made and advertised a 26 inch "Ballooner" (later to be dubbed a "Cruiser")--three years before BMXers would ever consider racing "beach cruisers." Introduced "Pit Bikes" to his odd line of bikes in 1979 Followed up his original "Balloon-tire" cruiser with the times, manufacturing a 26 inch and 24 inch cruiser frame, before dropping out of the competitive BMX market. Today, Gary lives in Vermont and is a stunt coordinator in the film industry."

1 - 20 of 53 Posts