Jockey Journal Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cool feature on what has been a favorite HAMB/JJ bike for a while! Has this been posted yet? Congrats anyway dude. T

·
Registered
917 Posts
Yeah, I'll be there as a spectator.
Look for the guy in front of the Continental Club on Friday night with a beer in his hand! :D
G.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Galaxie500XL said:
Looks like I'll be doing the same thing.
I was in the market and just to be a jackass picked up the street chopper and sez to my brother, lets see if I got work in here this month. When I opened the mag my own jaw dropped, and I felt like a jackass.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Congrats on the articles, but. . . .why sell?

I only ask because I was going to sell my bike and I thought about all the people I listen to complain about selling this or that bike back in the day, and thought to myself--as long as I don't need the money, why sell it. Unless you don't like it anymore, of course.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Scorcher said:
Would have been a better cover bike for the Horse.
Tha Nutz said:
Congrats on the articles, but. . . .why sell?
Thanks Jason...you don't like the "Angry Chair!!?? ;)

Nutz, even though the bike is just now getting some pub, I actually started it almost 4 years ago.
I love riding it and all, but I have another one about halfway done and I must get my '52 Ford on the road, or they'll revoke my H.A.M.B. priveledges...
And to be honest, one of the main reasons I built it in the first place was so that I would have a good-lookin' bike to photograph and get my work in the mags.

G.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I hear you. I have 4 bikes, with 3 in various build stages, and I can't afford to keep them all, although I am sure I will try. . .

I've had a '29 tudor body and frame for over a year that I haven't even picked up yet, but once I sell my other old cars, I will get working on that. At least that's what I kep telling myself.

G Griffin said:
Thanks Jason...you don't like the "Angry Chair!!?? ;)

Nutz, even though the bike is just now getting some pub, I actually started it almost 4 years ago.
I love riding it and all, but I have another one about halfway done and I must get my '52 Ford on the road, or they'll revoke my H.A.M.B. priveledges...
And to be honest, one of the main reasons I built it in the first place was so that I would have a good-lookin' bike to photograph and get my work in the mags.

G.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
G Griffin said:
G.
Gary, I like that bike (and NOT just because it has a Goodson, HA!), and I thought it was worthy of a national feature, and I think it's cool when anybody get thier stuff in a magazine, but.........

An editor's worst nightmare is the one where he thinks he has an "exclusive" feature, or he thought he's scooped the other magazines on a feature bike - only to have the bike show up in the same month in another magazine, or in the rack at the store at the same time in another magazine(s).

This is for everybody - if you've submitted your bike to several publications, and you get a commitment from one magazine, and another magazine says they want to feature your bike, too, tell them you already have an offer from another magazine on it.

If it's been a while since the other magazine offered to run your bike, and it hasn't happened, contact the magazine and ask if they are going to, because you have another offer from another magazine. This usually results in one of two things - they will either run it so it WON'T go to the other magazine, or they will tell you to go ahead with the other one. If they don't send you a reply, you can take that as a "we don't care what you do", and go from there.

The reason I say this to Gary, and everybody else who wants to showcase their talents (in Gary's case-both his building and photography skills) is that when it comes to this, editors have have a pretty long memory about stuff like having a bike in a competitor's magazine at the same time, and they usually blame it on the guy who submitted the feature. I know editors who won't feature a bike EVER if it's been in another magazine, unless it's been revamped/redone pretty extensively.

When it comes time to submit something else to showcase what you have this time around, editors are like elephants, and they're more than likely to take a pass on your submitted feature the next time around, for fear it may happen to them again.

This is some "real-world" advice, and not meant as a slam against Gary, or anybody else for that matter. I'd like to see what else Gary and everybody else has to offer in the future, especially in print.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Good advice, Rich, for sure...

However, in my case both mags knew I was submitting photos to the other.
One mag happened to wait 6 months to run the photos, while the other ran it as soon as they were submitted.
I still am recieving requests to submit more photos of my bike from other publications, as well as features for other bikes, as well as cars.
I have a close relationship with the guys I submit to, and nobody has said anything directly to me.
And if I am excluded from some mag because of an editor with a long memory, well...that's not up to me.
Again, in this case, the timing was not in my control.

G.

·
Registered
917 Posts
the Harpoon said:
I was in the market and just to be a jackass picked up the street chopper and sez to my brother, lets see if I got work in here this month. When I opened the mag my own jaw dropped, and I felt like a jackass.
Harpoon IS Universal!!

G.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hey Griffen i knew that bike with that paint job was a hiden treasure it was cool to have been able to see it befor the rest of the world.I always loved the look of your bike,congratulations on the mags and also great job on the paint Harpoon that thing kicks ass.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.