Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, It's been a while since I've been here but I know someone here knows way more about the later model (1988 and up) Harley springers than I do.

Here's what I'm trying to do. I've got a slightly tweaked 1988-1992 FXSTS springer with the right rear leg bent back about 1/4 to 3/8" which I think I can press back into alignment after I disassemble it. Eventually I want to put this on one of my shovelheads with a stock swingarm frame. When I got the springer, it came with a dual flange front wheel but I know there's only one brake caliper. Going onto the online microfiche for a 1992 FXSTS front wheel it shows 3 different hubs. One of them is dual flange and the other flange appears to be used for a decorative hubcap or something. I've never seen this set up in real life but admittedly prior to now, have never really looked. This whole pile came to me just mocked up and the spacers are wrong for sure. I can lathe the spacers.

Here's my questions:
Are there any issues with bending the rear leg back and was the caliper on the right side perhaps causing a design flaw by stressing the rear leg? I plan on doing it cold using mandrels that I can either cast or machine. Or, is it better to trust it to someone that actually has a jig?

Is this dual flange front hub unusual or not? I've looked up the part number and when I see it on ebay sometimes it's dual flange and sometimes not.

Any advice on putting this on a shovel frame would be appreciated. Issues such as fork stops etc. I've got the FXSTS front end not the FL springer with (I think) a different rake.

Thanks in advance,
Lyle, up in Minnesota

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Lyle you can cold bend the springer leg no problem. You have to sneak up on it as you know because of the springyness of metals you have to bend further so that on the rebound the leg is perfect. Once you isolate the plane of deflection you will be amazed how soft these things really are. Should not be a problem for you and your skillset.

·
Registered
472 Posts
because you mentioned that you know the spacers are wrong i'm going to put my 2 cents in. this may be common knowledge but I sure as hell never heard of it until recently. my buddy was putting a evo era stock springer on a fatboy was advised that the wheel is not centered in the springer front end. obviously it is inline with the rear wheel. anyone else ever noticed this? and what is the reason?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's probably true. One mine, an 88 to 92 springer - you can tell by the "ears" on the end of the fender mounting studs on the front legs, these mounts are not the same length coming off the front legs pointing towards the center. One is slightly yet visibly longer than the other. I THINK HD changed this possibly in 93 when they went to a different fender mounting system. I heard when they first made the springer model, they simply used another wheel from a different model and flipped it the other way for the brake on the Rt. side on the springer.

Is there anything to the story about an internal vibration dampner made from dense foam or rubber on the inside of the rear legs?

because you mentioned that you know the spacers are wrong i'm going to put my 2 cents in. this may be common knowledge but I sure as hell never heard of it until recently. my buddy was putting a evo era stock springer on a fatboy was advised that the wheel is not centered in the springer front end. obviously it is inline with the rear wheel. anyone else ever noticed this? and what is the reason?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts