Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, been looking at the board for some time and finally registered yesterday. Figured I would post some pictures of my FXRS build. This is what it looked like the day I brought it home. As you can see it was highly neglected.
, after a quick bath of simple green

The original plan was to clean it up a bit, change the bars and ride it for summer,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After getting into it a little bit we started noticing that some small things were missing. A spacer here a bolt or two there and after much head scratching the decision was made to tear it all the way down if for nothing else than safety.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured since it was down this far already to go ahead and make it into what I wanted. I was on a budget so I scoured craigslist, all the parts going on to the bike would be second hand.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found a wide glide 6' over front end with a set of Mini apes and sans billet risers for 200 bucks. I bought it and sold the handlebars and risers for 100 bucks. this is how the stance looked after the chop and front end was put back on.

Did a test fit to see what thing were going to look like

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Ha, late last night I was wondering if anyone ever chopped an FXR? But i was more thinking of if anyone chopped out that ugly middle section with that V section and added a down tube. Strictly for better looks and you still keep the great handling these bikes are said to have.

Back on track... Good luck man. Keep at it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's nice having a brother who can weld

A small patch was welded on after welding all extra square tubing in place

Then a larger one to go over the top of it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ha, late last night I was wondering if anyone ever chopped an FXR? But i was more thinking of if anyone chopped out that ugly middle section with that V section and added a down tube. Strictly for better looks and you still keep the great handling these bikes are said to have.

Back on track... Good luck man. Keep at it.
Thanks :D my brother and I have been working all summer on it, should have it wrapped up in time just for winter :mad: but we will see. I might get to ride it a few times before the snow flys.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Looking good. Good idea to check everything out. You see too many times where someone is told there is only minor problems with the bike, and it turns out to have all sorts of problems. Make sure to keep this updated with pics of your progress.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking good. Good idea to check everything out. You see too many times where someone is told there is only minor problems with the bike, and it turns out to have all sorts of problems. Make sure to keep this updated with pics of your progress.
Thanks, We bought it off a rather "eccentric" guy who's main focus was getting new tires on it and having the frame powder coated. It looks like it had been down, had a dent in the gas tank and the primary and controls had some rash. There was at the least an inch of mud/oil/crap coating the starter and trans. I think the bike was happy to find new owners. I have more pictures I will upload, it's in paint and we are reassembling it now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The next thing we decided to do was french in the side panels. I have seen it done on the inside of the frame a few times but only once on the outside then molded in. I liked the way the FXR looked in Harley Davidson and the Marlboro man but didn't want an exact replica as that has been done, so this is Black Death on a budget. No file cabinets were injured during this build up.

·
Registered
380 Posts
looking good man i like this one it is going to be fun to follow

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got the wheels back from powder coat and couldn't be happier with the result. I didn't get a picture of the rims before but trust me they were in bad shape. Also cleaned up the trans and inner primary and shot some fresh matte black on them and the rear caliper. the trans looked brand new on the inside and everything seems good. After disassembling the engine we noticed it had been apart before, everything inside looked brand new as well but the piston rings did not look like that had been assembled the right way so I ordered some new ones they should be here tomorrow. The bike sits in a partial roller right now and will be that way until the parts arrive. I will post new pictures as I progress. Thanks for viewing.:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gratuitous garage photo, My brother has a 1979 FLH (bone stock) that he rides you can see it in one of the first pictures. He also has another FLH seen in this photo next to my bike. That's his 29 Model A in the foreground, has a 1969 BOSS 302 in it, he's remodeling his house so they are on the back burner for now. He is the family gearhead so he supervises me to make sure I don't screw anything up. Got to love family :D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.