Votes: 34 70.8%
  • Ironhead

Votes: 14 29.2%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think I've decided to pony up for an American bike. With my budget, the same two bikes keep coming up, Ironheads and FXR's. I am by no means a mechanic, so something a tad more reliable is required, but there is also the customization capabilities to consider. Would like some input.

·
Registered
70 Posts
BikerWanabe said:
I think I've decided to pony up for an American bike. With my budget, the same two bikes keep coming up, Ironheads and FXR's. I am by no means a mechanic, so something a tad more reliable is required, but there is also the customization capabilities to consider. Would like some input.
Depends what you want out of a bike.

If you want a relianle bike to ride, go with the FXR.

If you want to build a chopper, it'll probably be easier with the ironhead.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking for a daily rider, something reasonably comfortable because my commute is filled with bad roads, but also something reliable because I suck when it comes to wrenching.

·
Registered
896 Posts
FXR's are a "bikers bike" if you know what I mean. A lot of hardcore riders swear they are the best handling/performing bike HD ever made. They're definatley cool, I remember as a kid if a guy had an FXR with drag bars and a frisco mounted tank he was a badass.

Ironheads make great choppers, they can be made to be very fast and are pretty inexpensive. They are pretty labor intensive, but then again so are old shovels. If you don't know how to wrench you will probably learn in short time with either bikes.

You really can't beat a used evo 1200 for the money. They're pretty cheap these days since the rubber mounted sporty's came out and they haul ass. Maybe not as "cool" to some people, but check out Jose's, that thing is fuckin bad.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Voneville said:
FXR's are a "bikers bike" if you know what I mean. A lot of hardcore riders swear they are the best handling/performing bike HD ever made. .
Yes! Without a doubt the FXR was, is, and will always be the best handling bike ever to come out of Milwaukee. A couple of points...Try to get a '90-'94. They had the better clutches, starters, carbs, etc. Nothing against IronHeads mind you. Its just that IMO many people have had their hands on them, usually with not so great results (mechanically that is) TK.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Go with the FXR. My kid has one, and he loves it. Except when he sees my 51 Pan. For the money, and reliability the FXR is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
fxr, more bike for the cash, can always chop it out too, nicer ridin bike stock, easier to find lil stuff like condensors and stuff if u end up with a mag bike expecially, worth more in long run, hands down better investment, which is probably why i bought an older FX, all be it an FXE, and my ironhead will be on the market soon, unless i wait til spring to get the most out of the sale

·
Registered
70 Posts
BikerWanabe said:
Looking for a daily rider, something reasonably comfortable because my commute is filled with bad roads, but also something reliable because I suck when it comes to wrenching.
Then get the FXR. '92 to '94's are good years to choose from.

The 91's are known to have "softcases". I've personally seen a cracked case on a '91 FXRS.

I've ridden my FXR daily for the last 9 years as my commuter bike. With standard servicing, its been a real good bike.

Just my two cents here, but dont do chopper shit to an FXR. Thats the worst thing you could ever do. Ape hangers, z-bars, upswept pipes, jockey shifting, etc.; save them for a chopper project.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Panman51 said:
Go with the FXR. My kid has one, and he loves it. Except when he sees my 51 Pan. For the money, and reliability the FXR is the way to go.
I love my FXR...until i see a really bitchin pan or shovel and i always start thinking maybe i need to mix it up. I personally don't think the FXR's are the "coolest" looking bikes out there, but for riding anywhere and everywhere, you don't have to look much further.
This is mine...

When i got it, it was covered in chrome, belt guards, little tiny arlen ness drag bars, factory controls with buttons, and a fucked up wiring harness. The guy had already swapped the stock motor for a stroked 96" and gave me the original case and jugs. Since then, i've pulled almost everything off that doesn't need to be there, swapped risers and bars a couple of times and found this setup. It's fuckin comfy, rides smooth and fast, and i can ride it all day. The front fender is going back on it as soon as i sand it and paint it, and i'm going to put a chain rear drive on it so i can mess with the gearing. There is soooooooo much shit i want to do with it, but its happening little by little.
The FXR is a good bike.
:)

·
Registered
170 Posts
FXR, I think always go Big Twin if you can and I have an Ironhead!

But I did not choose her. She begged for me to save her from a life of swoopy gas tanks, forward controls and skull mirrors... I did and we are now stuck with each other.

Ironheads take a certain amount of dedication that not everybody is ready for.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Pretty much it's been said well already, but here's my 2-cents thrown in. Ironheads are cheap and plentiful. But the technology is raw by even 1980's standards. Assuming the price is right, I'd go with the FXR if you can.

But... if you want to save some money and still get that big twin power, consider a Shovelhead. It's a beefy and forgiving powerplant. You can make a lot of weight-loss modifications (=more speed) to it rather easily; lose the starter and make it a 5-in-a-4 case kicker only, dual plug the heads, bdl open (dry) primary. Not to mention stroking it out to 88" or 96". Plus, you can do a lot of popular shovel modifications without ever needing to remove the engine from the frame (the later model HD engines are taller). Also, a shovel will fit into just about any big twin or similar aftermarket frame without needing to *massage* the frame.

Regardless of what you choose, take your time and enjoy making it yours. If you need any help feel free to pm me.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
i like the FXR's, but personally, i have an ironhead. the reason there is that the bike was a gift, and i decided to keep it a while because you don't see as many old Ironheads on the roads as you do shovels, or the ever present EVOs and Twinkies.
i like to stand out in a crowd, if ya know what i mean

·
Registered
237 Posts
I bought a 1993 FXR new in 93. I put 160,000 miles on it in 9 years. As has been said before in this thread, it was not the coolest bike in the world, but it went everywhere. The only problem I ever really had with it was the factory cam bearing let go at 60,000 miles. Dropped an EV27 cam with a Timken bearing into it and traded it 100,000 miles later on a 1996 Heritage. I love the Heritage, but that FXR would run circles around it. Even with 160,000 miles, I got $9,000 on trade. My old 1200 Sportster was a lot of fun, but nowhere near as comfortable a daily rider as the FXR.

·
Registered
237 Posts
FrankBen777 said:
Ironheads take a certain amount of dedication that not everybody is ready for.
Regardless of what I have said elsewhere in this thread, and knowing that the above comment is dramatically understated, riding an Ironhead has the effect of beer goggles to a biker, I have got to say that Ironheads are the coolest thing on the road.

Ironheads require constant wrenching and attention. They will rattle your toenails out of their nailbeds and turn your cartilage to powder at any speed above 50 MPH. Random parts, broken by vibration, will fly off and rip out your buddy's spleen. Regardless of all that, I have never ridden anything else that I enjoyed so much. Damn. What a wonderful machine.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Got an '88 FXR - former City of Miami Police bike - 58K on it & runs strong. I've done nothing to it but lower it a bit.

Used to have an old Ironhead chop - wouldn't trade back for anything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts