Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Who's running a tube to show their fuel level in their tank? What's your tube made of? Any pics?
in industry they're called sight glasses or level indicators
check your mcmaster-carr catalog
or do a web search....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,257 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Who's running a tube to show their fuel level in their tank? What's your tube made of? Any pics?
..

surely many pix will follow ..

I have just a recollection, and it has stuck with me since, of a good fuel-gauge also ..

my first streetbike, a H-1 500 triple 2-smoke .. had separate oil tank, & pump, for the gas-oiling ..

but on the back edge of the tank were two brazed, I suppose, elbow tubes, and a length of clear tubing between , at the appropriate level ..

have seen sight-glasses in cases and tanks since, always seemed like more of a go/no-go setup than the sight/level-tube ..

jus' my flashback for the day ..

.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, did a search for all those things and anything else I could think of that might be related. I know what they look like and how to make them work well, but would like to see some on a bike without it looking overdone. I was thinking of making one with compression fittings at both ends, but would need a fuel safe clear hose/tubing that works with compression fittings. Single sight glasses would be cool too (McMaster has tons!), but you can only tell if you have gas or not. I'm thinking something I could use to gage how much I'm burning would be cool.

Any thoughts?
GumbyChuck said:
in industry they're called sight glasses or level indicators
check your mcmaster-carr catalog
or do a web search....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
just 2 elbows cut down..some clear line..and copper wire twisted together ..worked for about 8 months now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,257 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Yeah, did a search for all those things and anything else I could think of that might be related. I know what they look like and how to make them work well, but would like to see some on a bike without it looking overdone. I was thinking of making one with compression fittings at both ends, but would need a fuel safe clear hose/tubing that works with compression fittings. Single sight glasses would be cool too (McMaster has tons!), but you can only tell if you have gas or not. I'm thinking something I could use to gage how much I'm burning would be cool.

Any thoughts?
..

sorry, more flashbacks ..

but I BET this hasnt been done on a bike ..

I remember pics of WW I era aeroplanes, whose fuel gauge consisted of a simple apparatus - say a short piece of tubing, brazed from the top of your tank, and within, a float and an attached vertical rod that protruded thru said tube atop tank ..

as the rod dropped, so doth fuel level ..

I demand a cut if anyone puts this on the market ..

no, scratch that, it wouldnt be kool anymore if on the market ..

nevermind ..

.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
TI_Tuesday
Joined
·
1,444 Posts
Here's my tank. Can't tell you how well it works because I haven't mounted it to the bike yet. Tube is made of 1/2" plastic. Will post report when I finally run it.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
Here's mine. I used compression fittings with the longer nut (not shown here, I have since changed them to the longer) and plastic ferrules (instead of the standard brass which can cut into the tube). The fittings are brass, btw.

The hose is clear 1/4" from McMaster Carr and is safe for use with gasoline. All the parts are from McMaster Carr. If you need the part numbers send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I'll dig them up. I think I have less than 10 bucks in the whole deal.

God love McMaster Carr (www.mcmaster.com).
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sweet! That's exactly what I wanted to see guys! Keep 'em coming! I've got some great ideas now! May even try to incorporate one into the lines of the tank if I can. My thought is to keep it functional, viewable, sort of old fashioned, yet have it flow nicely with the lines of the tank!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,736 Posts
StraightPipez said:
Here's mine. I used compression fittings with the longer nut (not shown here, I have since changed them to the longer) and plastic ferrules (instead of the standard brass which can cut into the tube). The fittings are brass, btw.

The hose is clear 1/4" from McMaster Carr and is safe for use with gasoline. All the parts are from McMaster Carr. If you need the part numbers send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I'll dig them up. I think I have less than 10 bucks in the whole deal.

God love McMaster Carr (www.mcmaster.com).
looks like the same exact setup i put on my refridgerator for the water :) 15bucks home depot.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top