Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,I guess this worst-case scenario also happened to you once in your bike building career.Share your nitemare and don't be afraid to relive it again...take advantage of this opportunity and work up your neurosis and get rid of that anxiety state.Now !

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine happened today almost like the picture. I have stripped my tank and repainted it black then pinstriped it white. While I was waiting for everything to dry good so I could clear it my stand fell over slinging my tank against my bike and on the sandy ground. It put a little ding in the very front of the tank and got a piece of grass stuck in one spot on the tank. Well I fixed the spot with the grass in it and said fuck the dent I was so pissed but I didn't want to do it over again so there's just going to be a little ding in the front. luckilly its in a spot that won't be that noticible. I was so pissed I damn near drop kicked the fucking tank halfway across the yard. I just hope I can get the rest of it together better than it has gone so far.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
TheFrenZ said:
Okay,I guess this worst-case scenario also happened to you once in your bike building career.Share your nitemare and don't be afraid to relive it again...take advantage of this opportunity and work up your neurosis and get rid of that anxiety state.Now !

Or trial-fit your forks (in that freshly painted and buffed-out paint job on frame & tank)without the fork stops installed yet... it sits there just fine,held in place by the grease on the bearings(...) so you can admire from a distance ,on one knee,the perfect rake and chosen combination etc...for some reason, maybe a fly came zoomin' by, the fork swings out to one side so the front of that smooth axed tank acts as a fork stop...F-words all over the place of course...or how about your painted project is on blocks,with wheels 2" of the ground, you want again for some reason trial-fit that so smooth painted rear fender over the rear tire, again sits there nicely until your rear wheel turns forward 90° and slides your fender underneath the tire & over the ground...fun !

·
Registered
591 Posts
The worst thing that ever happened to me? I restored my '66 sportster in my 360 square foot apartment in downtown Seattle. I had a "murphy" bed that folded up and disappeared, so I taped cardboard boxes down on the floor and made a shop. I was in art school at the time so I had to work on it late at night. Aside from a nosy 80 year old land lady it went pretty smooth.

Between school and doing art to pay for it, and no experience with motorcycle resto it was a good 8 months of frustration before I got it ready to fire. I got lucky early on and hooked up with a great (but now gone) old school shop called 3-Set cycle. They saved my a$$ countless times while rebuilding the '66. Anyway, I bring my motor back to the apartment and get this great idea....

The cases were stained and old looking, so I decided to carefully tape up all the holes and spray mag wheel cleaner on the cases in my tub. I get a toothbrush and go to town. The cases look GREAT man and I can't wait to put it in the frame. The mag wheel cleaner ate the porceline off my tub too (there goes my deposit).

So a few more months go by and I move into a warehouse by the highway. I finish the bike there and invite my friends over to hear it light off. There's about 5 of us along with my girlfriend and I start kicking. I kicked it at least 200 times. Then my friends kicked it. I swear it was like kickstarting a bike under water. It felt weird and sticky. So, I'm depressed as hell after putting the thing on the charger for an hour. Everybody leaves but my girl and my best friend Scott, who had a 650 Bonneville that was a one kick bike.

I stagger over to this thing and rear up one last time, kick it through and it STARTS!!!! BAAAH BA BABAA!!!!!! I calmly look over at my chick and give her the "I knew it all along" wink. She's yelling something over the motor and pointing to the floor...a look of "eeewww" on her face. I glance down in horror as a giant puddle of light gray goo is spreading out under the bike. I had the oil tank cap off and the tank is draining brown oil into the motor but nothing is coming back into the tank. The breather tube behind the generator is spewing this gray sludge. The bike runs all of 45 seconds and I shut it off.

None of us knew what to think. The next day I call 3-Set and they have no idea what it could be. I call every shop in town, no idea. Reggie at 3-Set said "bring it over here Tim", so I did. He called me the following week and I head over to look. His friends are there. The shop is more crowded than I'd ever seen it and everybody's looking at me like a sideshow freak. The cases are on the bench and every single nook and cranny is caked with what looked and felt like Lava soap. It was abrasive and grainy, the parts were rusty and corroded looking. The bike ran for 45 seconds and the cylinder walls were scratched! All of us stood there staring at it. Nobody had any idea what the fuck it could be. They look to me for an answer, but I don't have one. It's fuckin' "Unsolved Mysteries". So Reggie takes pity on me and completely rebuilds my tortured motor for 500 bucks in a week.

While I wait I pace the floor trying to figure out what it could've been. Then it hit me, THE MAG WHEEL CLEANER! It's acid. It got into the engine and sat for 2 months at least, then when the motor fired the oil, heat and friction caused the creation of an entirely new mineral! Never before known to man. I created some kind of new ROCK!!! I call Reggie and he's like, "yeah, uh, okay man it's 500. Come and get this thing would ya?" I had never been more ambarrassed in my life.

So this time the thing started right up and still runs great. 15 years on a 3-Set re-build with used parts. I bet Reggie is still laughin' at me!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was working on my Vespa, whick I park sideways in front of my Hudson pickup. I needed to replace the rear wheel. Thos thinks are so light, I thought I would just hold the rear up and balance it on the fron wheel and have my girl put the wheel on and start 2 bolts. When sh went to put on the new wheel, she touched the front wheel. When it turned, it rolled out from under the scooter, and I dropped it right onto the front end of my truck. It put a deep gouge in it (which is how I found out just how much bondo was used to smooth the front end into 1 piece). I actually laughed it off after a few minutes. I guess these accidents are how you remind yourself these things belong to you.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Conder said:
The worst thing that ever happened to me? I restored my '66 sportster in my 360 square foot apartment in downtown Seattle. I had a "murphy" bed that folded up and disappeared, so I taped cardboard boxes down on the floor and made a shop. I was in art school at the time so I had to work on it late at night. Aside from a nosy 80 year old land lady it went pretty smooth.

Between school and doing art to pay for it, and no experience with motorcycle resto it was a good 8 months of frustration before I got it ready to fire. I got lucky early on and hooked up with a great (but now gone) old school shop called 3-Set cycle. They saved my a$$ countless times while rebuilding the '66. Anyway, I bring my motor back to the apartment and get this great idea....

The cases were stained and old looking, so I decided to carefully tape up all the holes and spray mag wheel cleaner on the cases in my tub. I get a toothbrush and go to town. The cases look GREAT man and I can't wait to put it in the frame. The mag wheel cleaner ate the porceline off my tub too (there goes my deposit).

So a few more months go by and I move into a warehouse by the highway. I finish the bike there and invite my friends over to hear it light off. There's about 5 of us along with my girlfriend and I start kicking. I kicked it at least 200 times. Then my friends kicked it. I swear it was like kickstarting a bike under water. It felt weird and sticky. So, I'm depressed as hell after putting the thing on the charger for an hour. Everybody leaves but my girl and my best friend Scott, who had a 650 Bonneville that was a one kick bike.

I stagger over to this thing and rear up one last time, kick it through and it STARTS!!!! BAAAH BA BABAA!!!!!! I calmly look over at my chick and give her the "I knew it all along" wink. She's yelling something over the motor and pointing to the floor...a look of "eeewww" on her face. I glance down in horror as a giant puddle of light gray goo is spreading out under the bike. I had the oil tank cap off and the tank is draining brown oil into the motor but nothing is coming back into the tank. The breather tube behind the generator is spewing this gray sludge. The bike runs all of 45 seconds and I shut it off.

None of us knew what to think. The next day I call 3-Set and they have no idea what it could be. I call every shop in town, no idea. Reggie at 3-Set said "bring it over here Tim", so I did. He called me the following week and I head over to look. His friends are there. The shop is more crowded than I'd ever seen it and everybody's looking at me like a sideshow freak. The cases are on the bench and every single nook and cranny is caked with what looked and felt like Lava soap. It was abrasive and grainy, the parts were rusty and corroded looking. The bike ran for 45 seconds and the cylinder walls were scratched! All of us stood there staring at it. Nobody had any idea what the fuck it could be. They look to me for an answer, but I don't have one. It's fuckin' "Unsolved Mysteries". So Reggie takes pity on me and completely rebuilds my tortured motor for 500 bucks in a week.

While I wait I pace the floor trying to figure out what it could've been. Then it hit me, THE MAG WHEEL CLEANER! It's acid. It got into the engine and sat for 2 months at least, then when the motor fired the oil, heat and friction caused the creation of an entirely new mineral! Never before known to man. I created some kind of new ROCK!!! I call Reggie and he's like, "yeah, uh, okay man it's 500. Come and get this thing would ya?" I had never been more ambarrassed in my life.

So this time the thing started right up and still runs great. 15 years on a 3-Set re-build with used parts. I bet Reggie is still laughin' at me!
LOL! LOL! The story alone is worth $ 500 Tim !! What about spraying high temp paint out of a spraycan in a really dark room...and you don't know in wich direction the nozzle point, but you're spraying anyway..."where are ya? where are ya goddamned!" that's the first thing you ask after you pressed that plastic button!...wash your eyes with white-spirit,that's about it...

·
Registered
317 Posts
I used to work as a service tech at my local H-D dealer. In my time there, we had two lifts tip over, with bikes still on them(lift failures). Let me tell you, when a 600 LB Ultra tips over from 3 feet in the air, it hits HARD...

One of the techs had an innertube blow up in his face while seating the bead on a tire once. That was damn loud.

I was setting up a new Sporty once, fresh out of the crate, and my rachet slipped. It left a nice ding and acompanying chip in the paint. from that moment on, I wrap all my rachet handles in electrical tape.

Another tech just finished a rear tire on a customers bike. Note that brand new tires are slippery, they come with stickers that say to take it easy for a few miles. Well, the tech(who had been doing it for many years) took the bike out for it's test ride, and got on the gas a tad to hard comming out of the parking lot. The tire went up and the bike slid out from under him. Oops.

·
Registered
22 Posts
2 Months on my 79 lowrider and I'm dead drunk at around midnight black out and bamm lay it down on the left side. Pick it up and limp it home. The next day call my Bro who helped me build the bike and tell him what happened and he say's to meet him for a beer and we'll figure how to build it back up. 4 hours and 3 bars later last thing I rember is duining a burnout in the parking lot. I came to in the driveway this time on the right side. (PCH at rush hour traffic, lucky to be around) Funny thing I stoped drinking after that and never been down again :rolleyes:

·
Registered
208 Posts
see, Tim, thats a reason why you are one of my heroes!

love
dave

Conder said:

·
Registered
100 Posts
well this one ain`t about a build but...........

my father-in-law loves TWO things in life

1) his `93 Evo (chuckle)

2)his Canadian Mist and Coke

frequently both go hand in hand.......so after some "mishaps",I make a deal w/ the bartender at the local watering hole to call me to come get his ass when he gets all "one-eyed" and shit....and they follow thru

well one night I get up there and he`s wanting to fight me for the keys to this "wineberry" colored softail with dreamcatchers and feathers and shit custom airbrushed all over the thing (not my style but he`s old and shit so give the guy a break)....he drooled over this thing for two years before the guy finally sold it to him....

so I laugh cuz he`s shitfaced and the "fight" should be short-lived so I sez "ok,you swing first".....he looks at me all one-eyed and tries to focus like some drunken cyclops for like two minutes before he says "pffphluck it!...I luff you mang....you my pfaforit son!....here da keys motherpflukka"

so I jump on this shit sled and tell the bartender to follow me to his house with him in her truck and off we go....me feeling like a good fucker and stuff cuz I saved him from yet another drunken collision with a tree on the way home....

so as I round the corner into his drive, I notice that the old faithful pothole that usually graces the end of his drive spanning 6' x 8' long has been filled with gravel and smoothed over....."kickass!" I say....and over the gravel I go....now I had had three or four Bloody Mary`s in me but thought and felt OK to ride (chuckle).....nothing like the dozen (yep) Mist and Cokes (doubles) he had ingested.....as I get halfway into the pothole gravel, I see water seeping out of the rocks and the whole thing gets spongy as fuck....me leanin into the turn like a veteran rider and shit.....

and on over she GOES!........wham!.....lays it over on it`s right side.....and my leg.....I feel the hot rush of embarrasment rising from within and the hot burn of shotguns on my leg

three dudes and a female bartender in her truck laughin their fool heads off while I`m cussin and freakin cuz I just layed this fuckers bike down right in front of him.....

he jumps out and runs over yellin shit like "you stupid motherfucker!....who`s the drunk one?...asshole"

I`m yelling at him to "shut the fuck up and get this fat fucking sled off my leg".....I wiggle my leg free from beneath and stand up.....were nose to nose and spittin and cussin...I look at him and say "Billy,fuck you.....lets get this damn bike stood back up"......meanwhile it`s still RUNNIN, in gear and throwin gravel everywhere

we both grabbed the bike steadily cussin each other and at the same time, we lift it with all we had.....it shoots upright.....and then right over on it`s LEFT SIDE......motherfucker!.....we`re cussin each other and arguing over who was sposed to hold onto it when he says "fuck you,don`t touch it...I`ll get it"

I stood back....after all,it was HIS bike...let him deal with it.......he gets it stood up,fires it back up and dumps the clutch,nails the gas,and rides full-out toward the garage.......

on the way down the drive he clips off the mirror by hitting another truck in his drive and finally comes to a stop when he sinks the front wheel into the back wall of the garage....son-of-a-bitch

so the next day,I meet him at the bar again (bike at home) and we`re shootin the shit and he`s being all cool to me like nothing happened....hmmm....

I say "Man I`m sorry `bout last night".....he looks at me all puzzled and shit and says "OK?"......obviously He don`t remember any of it so I think I will keep it to myself

just then our buddy "Tree" (7'2" and 360) sits down at our table and says "I see you love birds kissed and made up".......Billy says "what the fuck U talkin about?"...........Tree says "well I figured after Doug crashed yer bike you`ve had for just three weeks you`d have shot him or slit his throat!"

(thanks Tree, you big fuckin OAF)

and THEN the whole episode started to come back to him.........well,he was only pissed at me for a week and the damage was all on the LEFT side which I got to blame all on him (chuckle)......but funny story nonetheless

·
Registered
591 Posts
Chopperdave said:
see, Tim, thats a reason why you are one of my heroes!

love
dave
Sure, I'll be yer hero kid...now go shshsteal me a beer from d' sebn' lebn' ya overly talented wunderkind brainiac freak....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts