Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm unsecessfully trying to lace a 16" drop center rim to a triumph spool hub. The thing is I had the exact wheel and then decided to rebuild and use a new rim and spokes. Ended up buying a rim and spokes (Routt) set from R&R Cycles. I took a dozen pictures of the lacing pattern before I disassembled everything, but then had a computer crash and lost all the pictures, a move and 9 months later trying to assemble everything and can't get the lacing pattern staight.

There are two different length spokes (approximately 1/4" length difference) The short ones lace to the large flange with a pattern where each spoke crosses three other spokes. Here is the first problem: The large flange is supposed to extend 1/8" past the rim (total rim width 4.25"). However, after lacing the large flange side, the spokes rest on the outside of the hub flange and don't allow the flange to even come flush with the rim, without considerable force, resulting in a slight bend of the outside spokes.
BTW: I removed all the paint from the holes in the flange using a contersink). Another interesting point is that the old outside spokes on the larger flange side had a bend in exess of 90 deg , whereas all the new spokes have a 90 deg bend.

Anyway, I moved on to the other side and tried to lace the small flange side with the longer spokes. The only pattern that I can lace up does not allow me to fully tighten the nipples and the next hole pattern can't be reached, even if I bring the hub in the correct position.

After spending hours trying to lace the wheel, I am finally getting to a point where I just want to toss the thing in the dumpster.
Does anbody have any idea what to look for and maybe some pictures showing the correct lacing pattern. Also, has anybody ever used the Routt's spokes? I am grateful for any help.
Sorry I left my camera at work and can't post any pictures at this time.

Swissmike

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I once spent a week or so trying to lace a wheel using NOS spokes from Speed & Sport in PA. I figured I was incompetent. The spokes were long enough to just barely touch the thread on the nipples, but that one thread would strip when I tried to tighten the nipple. I laced and unlaced that wheel countless times, wondering what was wrong with me.

A call to Speed & Sport later revealed that they sent me the wrong spokes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Swissmike,

PM me with your email. I've got pictures for you. Just rebuilt my '70 hub to a 16 incher.

Scott

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate the answers. I found the problem. The spokes on the drive side (large flange) need to be moved one position from their original location (inside spokes go where outsides spokes ususally are). This results in a slight rotation of the hub in relation to the rim and spokes on the other side fit fine.

One question remains: By having the outside spokes on the drive side in the holes, which are not chamfered quite as much as the original holes, the spokes don't allow the hub to reach the correct axial position without bending the spokes. It would seem to me that there should not be any bending force on the spokes...
Anyway, I will try to contersink the inside of the holes in hopes to get the pressure off the spokes.
Any body else have the same experience?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nads, miss you, too! Finally got the shop set up. The electric is all done and the lights are in. Bought a nice 6' butcher block workbench and stool this weekend (at Sam's Club of all places) and started to work on the nightmare bike again. Can't believe we are getting another hurricane so tonight I will have to put in wiring to hook up my generator to the house...Sorry for the O/T rant.
I will keep you posted on the progress of the wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts