Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As many of you know, I live in Rapid City. The Black Hills are ground zero right now for everyone trying to look cool on their new Harley. I say new because you can tell many of them just bought the bike, some even sporting paper plates with their shiny leathers.

I dont want this to turn into a fuck RUBS post. I actually feel bad for many of them. It is great they want to ride, this AINT the place to break in that new big twin after a couple hundred miles on the new girl.

I was talking to a local rodder/old time bike guy freind. He mentioned how we all started on Honda 90s before we got that big bike, a Yamaha 350! hahahahaha

I had more miles on a dirtbike before I was 14 than most of these newbies will get in 10 years. And, I knew that you WOULD crash and how to survive one!

I hate gvernment intervention, thats not the solution. I actually would like to see the insurance companies expand on their rate breaks for taking a rider safety course. Say, knock X amount off the premium for a safe year on a small bike? Or rate breaks if you can pass skills tests? Just ideas.

I dont see the number of bikes decreasing on our roads but I hate to see a guy with a death grip waddling his bike away from a stoplight.

Thoughts? Comments?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,854 Posts
I would have killed for a 350....My honda s65 was fun, but the neighbor had a s90....wouldn't let me ride it cuz he said it had WAY more power than my bike.

Tman said:
As many of you know, I live in Rapid City. The Black Hills are ground zero right now for everyone trying to look cool on their new Harley. I say new because you can tell many of them just bought the bike, some even sporting paper plates with their shiny leathers.

I dont want this to turn into a fuck RUBS post. I actually feel bad for many of them. It is great they want to ride, this AINT the place to break in that new big twin after a couple hundred miles on the new girl.

I was talking to a local rodder/old time bike guy freind. He mentioned how we all started on Honda 90s before we got that big bike, a Yamaha 350! hahahahaha

I had more miles on a dirtbike before I was 14 than most of these newbies will get in 10 years. And, I knew that you WOULD crash and how to survive one!

I hate gvernment intervention, thats not the solution. I actually would like to see the insurance companies expand on their rate breaks for taking a rider safety course. Say, knock X amount off the premium for a safe year on a small bike? Or rate breaks if you can pass skills tests? Just ideas.

I dont see the number of bikes decreasing on our roads but I hate to see a guy with a death grip waddling his bike away from a stoplight.

Thoughts? Comments?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bumpstick said:
Call me a vulture but... This is where the next crop of used once, crashed once engines and parts come from.:)
Yes, I agree!

Hatch, my first ride(which I still own) was a 70cc Indian dirtbike. More torque than raw paower, great learning bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
I can't really say shit. Once I finish my bike I will be a new rider. I have ridden a few small dirt bikes, mopeds and my buddies crotch rockets around town. Thats pretty much it. I'm not the most experianced rider and want to learn more. I plan on taking the local riders course to brush up on my skills at some point before the bike hits the road. I think it is best way to become a better rider.

Now... What seperates me from the RUBs in question is, I will be riding a XS650 not a brand new chromed out behemoth that I can't handle. I know my limits. Thats why I will start small and if at some point I want to step up to something bigger I will. But I kinda doubt it. If I get anything bigger it would be somthing like a Flyrite/SPS style bike. Still not the biggest bikes you can get on the market. What I'm getting at is I think sometimes peoples eyes (and their wallets) are to big for what they can really handle well. They walk into the HD showroom and pick out the biggest cycle they can afford. Not really thinking that they will actually have to ride it in adverse conditions and shitty traffic. It will never stop. Hell, why do you think that most guys believe that a Sportster is a "girls bike". Its that whole twisted thought process.

But your idea of a break for smaller bike owners would be nice (for me anyway :D ). Don't think it will ever happen though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BrianPettit said:
I can't really say shit. Once I finish my bike I will be a new rider. I have ridden a few small dirt bikes, mopeds and my buddies crotch rockets around town. Thats pretty much it. I'm not the most experianced rider and want to learn more. I plan on taking the local riders course to brush up on my skills at some point before the bike hits the road. I think it is best way to become a better rider.

Now... What seperates me from the RUBs in question is, I will be riding a XS650 not a brand new chromed out behemoth that I can't handle. I know my limits. Thats why I will start small and if at some point I want to step up to something bigger I will. But I kinda doubt it. If I get anything bigger it would be somthing like a Flyrite/SPS style bike. Still not the biggest bikes you can get on the market. What I'm getting at is I think sometimes peoples eyes (and their wallets) are to big for what they can really handle well. They walk into the HD showroom and pick out the biggest cycle they can afford. Not really thinking that they will actually have to ride it in adverse conditions and shitty traffic. It will never stop. Hell, why do you think that most guys believe that a Sportster is a "girls bike". Its that whole twisted thought process.

But your idea of a break for smaller bike owners would be nice (for me anyway :D ). Don't think it will ever happen though.
Good points Brian. To add fuel to the fire, out of all the groups I saw today at least ONE of the bikes was ridden by a woman. For the most part, they all looked more relaxed and in better control than lots of the men!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Tman said:
It is great they want to ride, this AINT the place to break in that new big twin after a couple hundred miles on the new girl.
Could you explain? Is there alot of light to light racing going on or something?
Or do you mean it is stop and go, that being bad for breakin?

I thought that little thing we learned on was a Honda 50, I suppose the 90 was for the more experienced.:) Although we also spent alot of time on a Harley Hummer.

I attended a car/motorcycle show recently held at a Harley dealership. I honestly don't think I had been in a dealership since Dudley Perkins moved up to the top of the hill. Anyway, I knew things had changed when the most interesting display case was located in the least visible, far back corner of the showroom. The display was of the top end dissassembled, displaying barrels, pistons, cams, and rocker arms exposed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mikes51 said:
Could you explain? Is there alot of light to light racing going on or something?
Or do you mean it is stop and go, that being bad for breakin?

I thought that little thing we learned on was a Honda 50, I suppose the 90 was for the more experienced.:) Although we also spent alot of time on a Harley Hummer.

I attended a car/motorcycle show recently held at a Harley dealership. I honestly don't think I had been a dealership since Dudley Perkins moved up to the top of the hill. Anyway, I knew things had changed when the most interesting display case was located in the least visible, far back corner of the showroom. The display was of the top end dissassembled, displaying barrels, pistons, cams, and rocker arms exposed.
Mike, I meant breaking in a new rider more than the bike! But, yes, there are HUGE traffic jams in and around every city in the hills. Not a place for someone new to the clutch after being raised in auto -equipped econoboxes!

Tomorrow we take the hills with 15 or so hotrods and as many bikes, HAMBers and JJ folks. I really feel safer in my 54 or my touring during the rally. Lots of locals I know dont even ride their bikes for two weeks! And I mean 40K a year mileage guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Okay, that makes sense now. Related story I heard: Some show organizers had setup a motorcycle cruise route in the wrong direction. I believe it was a loop around town but all with right turns. What happened was all the new riders had trouble leaning to the right and putting on the right brake pedal at the same time. I guess the wanted to have their right foot out when turning. So many people were crashing they reorganized the route next year so all the turns were left. That way they could keep their left down on the ground while turning and braking with the right.

What a Joke.

The organizers must have been old timers cause they know it's nice to turn right when you have to ride the clutch with your left foot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
Tman said:
I had more miles on a dirtbike before I was 14 than most of these newbies will get in 10 years. And, I knew that you WOULD crash and how to survive one!
I probably had more miles on my KH100 before I sold it at 18 than I have put on my Harley. I should get out and ride more often...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
Tony Bones said:
Natural selection...
That says it best. I figure half of 'em are still basking in the glory of pulling into their driveway with that brand new Fatboy, while their kids are jumping up and down cheering and screaming "My dad's so cool!" They stood next to it while the neighbors stared and listened to that ticking sound from cooling metal. When they're on the freeway with hundreds of new car commuters they're the coolest. When they get to work, everybody thinks it's cool as hell that Larry Fleenbone D.D.S. rides a Harley.

"What's sturgis really like?" Larry wonders. So he puts his bike in the back of a truck (or pays the dealership he bought it from to truck it there) and flys over. They unload the bike a couple hundred miles away, have a great dinner and get drunk in the motel lounge, talkin' about the new FLFXWGWERUIJHGFXCV 88 that just came out and have a GREAT time.

In the morning about 5 a.m. he wakes up without the alarm because he's so anxious. He gets dressed, throws on all that brand new leather that feels heavy and oddly safe, like maybe Sir Gallahad felt with his armor. He opens his motel room door and his bike was stolen.....Just kidding.

There sits his brand new candy red Fatboy, the chrome tinted with that early morning sunrise that only looks like that on the great plains. He puts on his giant D.O.T. approved half helmet (that sadly makes his head look like a dick) and pushes the magic button that begins the "potato potato potato". He gingerly rolls out of the parking lot with his new friends. Out of the whole pack there me be a couple guys who've "done it all" that are in charge. The ride into Sturgis is fantastic, but he's suprised that his $20,000 brand new bike isn't more comfortable. "I can't imagine riding all the way from Ohio" he thinks.

When he gets to Sturgis he sees thousands of people just like him. On the same bike. He thinks "I should have my bike painted when I get back, or maybe buy the demographicly proven $9000 worth of accesories new harley owners purchase" and marvels at how nearly everything in this town is researched and marketed straight to him and the guy he wants to be. This weekend.

As he rolls around forever at 1 mile an hour dangling his feet, he sees a 60ish senior citizen on a silver (kind of) old rickety looking Harley. It's got black rims with the paint flaking off and it's loaded down with about a hundred pounds of camping gear. "He looks like a homeless guy" Larry thinks to himself. The old man looks up at Larry and their eyes meet. Grampas got on a beat up t-shirt, his arms are solid and sinewy with blurred bad tattoos on burnt brown skin. Larrys sees the ol' boy rear up and kick his wasted bike to life (once) and realizes that he probably won't be hangin' out with that guy tonight. Nope, he'll be drinkin' with all his new friends, talkin' about roadkill and bugs and the new FLFXWGQWERTYUHGFCVB 88.

Somewhere out there is an old man, leaning against his ancient panhead and listening to the ticking sound of cooling metal. He's likkerd up and feelin' at home. His buddy is slurring some story about this blonde from blah blah he's heard a hundred times. With his ears ringing from 2700 hundred miles of backroads he's traveled for 40 years, he'll poke the fire a couple times and pass out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
You guys hit that right on the head. I spent August through March in Daytona last year, and was there for Biketoberfest and Bike Week. The amount of brand new riders was unbeleivable! I couldn't have ever imagined the sea of trikes and new Harleys with "training wheels" that I saw.

The masses will always admire aspects of counterculture. It has always been that way, and it will always be that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,888 Posts
Yeap, the new Harley riders are pretty scarey, but not has scarey as the guys that have never thrown a leg over a scooter, go see "Fast and Furious" movies and decide they have to have a 125+hp crotch rocket. There have been a couple around here that didn' make it 10 blocks from the dealership before they needed the meatwagon.
Larry T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
Tman said:
I was talking to a local rodder/old time bike guy freind. He mentioned how we all started on Honda 90s before we got that big bike, a Yamaha 350! hahahahaha

I hate gvernment intervention, thats not the solution. I actually would like to see the insurance companies expand on their rate breaks for taking a rider safety course. Say, knock X amount off the premium for a safe year on a small bike? Or rate breaks if you can pass skills tests? Just ideas.

Thoughts? Comments?
YZ80 for me. LOL

I totally agree about the training/insurance breaks thing. There are a few good courses out there that really augment a rider's ability to stay upright and stay alive. The breaks for 'safe time', like accident free days in a plant, would be cool. Some companies do something like it for cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Tman said:
As many of you know, I live in Rapid City. The Black Hills are ground zero right now for everyone trying to look cool on their new Harley. I say new because you can tell many of them just bought the bike, some even sporting paper plates with their shiny leathers.

I dont want this to turn into a fuck RUBS post. I actually feel bad for many of them. It is great they want to ride, this AINT the place to break in that new big twin after a couple hundred miles on the new girl.

I was talking to a local rodder/old time bike guy freind. He mentioned how we all started on Honda 90s before we got that big bike, a Yamaha 350! hahahahaha

I had more miles on a dirtbike before I was 14 than most of these newbies will get in 10 years. And, I knew that you WOULD crash and how to survive one!

I hate gvernment intervention, thats not the solution. I actually would like to see the insurance companies expand on their rate breaks for taking a rider safety course. Say, knock X amount off the premium for a safe year on a small bike? Or rate breaks if you can pass skills tests? Just ideas.

I dont see the number of bikes decreasing on our roads but I hate to see a guy with a death grip waddling his bike away from a stoplight.

Thoughts? Comments?
I grew up on mini bikes, honda 50's then 125's, 250's, then small street bikes, then bigger jap street bikes, then a sporty now a BT. I've ridden around the yard, around the cornfield, around the block, around town... I've had my share of spills to go along with it all. ALWAYS learning a lesson before I kick it and go again.
As for the fresh crew this is a scary breed! From tipping over at stop lights to feet down 50 ft. from the intersection to 20 mph too fast around a corner. Worried if their slouch is cool enough not about the car blowing through the stop sign up ahead. Some of the guys I ride with started out this way. We had a few lessons right there in the street. We're all still alive today. The best thing to be at bed time. Ken
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Busy weekend, saw too much, slept in my 54 Chevy, missed the naked chick at our party, saw a naked chick ride a bull, will post pics later, Condor is funny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
I took the riders saftey course here in Ohio. I had a couple of buddies who had been riding for years tell me they had taken it and learned quite a bit.

I have been on and off bikes for 20 years but thought I could use the class. It was a great class I learned a lot.

But I met a couple in their 50 who had never rode in their life. They had just bought matching fatboys to ride. There was another women who had never ridden who had just bought a Big twin Harley. And there was a guy who looked like he was going through a mid-life crises who had just bought a big ass harley.

I figured hell its their money spend it on what makes you happy.
But what scared me was the bikes that were provided to learn on in class were 250 Rebels and 250 enduros. These people who had never rode outside of this class were passed and received endorsements. They were jumping from 3 days on little bikes to full size monster bikes.

I hope they are all right
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top