Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so Heres my deal.Im converting my panshovel to rear disc.I bought a dual flange wheel and sprocket also picked up a softtail caliper that takes an 11'' rotor.went to the swap meet and got a rotor.Turns out its a front.Didnt see the speedo drive notch until i got home.I have heard that you can drill out the bolt holes to make it work on the rear.what I guess im asking for is confirmation this is indeed true before i move forward on it or drop 100 bucks i cant really spend right now on a rear rotor.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Make sure that both flanges have the same distance left and right from the hub.. that's for a sprocket..if the left flange is further away from the hub against the right flange then it's for a belt pulley.. just saying.. before you spent extra bucks..

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the hub is correct I just wondered if drilling out the bolt holes on a front rotor would allow it to be used as a rear..everything else fits well.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If just to make them bigger in diameter, I'd say yes. I run a 10" rotor on the back of my ironhead thats made for both front and back so I dont see a problem with using it if all it takes is to hog the holes bigger.

·
Registered
508 Posts
does it have countersunk holes? or tapered, i think youll find the 3/8 bolt will not sit correctly in the hole....hopefully im wrong but i seem to remember that as in issue.fastener fit is not where you want to cut corners..i believe theres a few threads about sprotor failures that are good examples.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
When in doubt, spend some money. One of my favorite sayings, is this....If you can't afford to do it right the first time, what makes you think that you can afford to do it twice? Not to mention, I would rather have a smoking, oil dripping, knocking rattletrap with excellent brakes, than a perfect chopper, with questionable brakes. Stopping is more important than going. But then, your wallet may be thinner than mine. All it has to do is fail you once, and you are in the hospital, and rebuilding your bike, or even worse. We need more members on here, not less.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.