Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guy's im looking for a front end for my 77 bonnie t140 and would like to know what will fit. id like a stocker cause im on a tight budget but if i can find a nice springer or HD stocker id pick it up if price is right. for example.. what modifications would need to be done to fit stock fork's from an early sportster?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The "oil in frame" Triumphs use a 3/4" diameter stem with tapered roller bearings. The early Xl's used a 7/8" stem. Don't know if you can find a tapered roller bearing with a bore that size that would be compatible with the bearing cups in the Triumph neck. Then, there's the issue of stem length. If the XL stem is longer maybe you could do some shimming, but if it's shorter, could be a problem.

Bob

·
Registered
161 Posts
Could possibly get custom neck cups made...

I have a complete 72 sporty drum front end for sale but It would cost an arm and a leg to ship to Florida...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm using a '71-ish Suzuki GT380 front end. Sacrilege, I know, but I bought the bike with a Yamaha 850 front end on it. The Yammy had an alloy wheel and dual discs, it just didn't look right. The Suzy front end looks an awful lot like a late Triumph front end, has a wire wheel, single disc, stainless fender. I got the whole front end for $200. Now that I have it running, I'm not sure it is that great of a front end, but all it took was a spacer machined to get the right bearing race spacing. With a simple-to-make adapter I am running the smiths gauges. The Lucas headlamp fit with just a washer added on each side to the Suzy ears.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts