Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering what this came off of. I got it in a parts lot that I bought a few years ago. Now that I'm getting back into my build I decided against using the DNA springer I bought. I figured that if I can use this I will otherwise if it's spent I'll look elsewhere.

So wondering if anyone thinks it's useable. It has the Triumph dampener, just curious what year range it's from. Thanks for the help.

Sorry these are huge....
Heres some pics:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I figured it might be a goner.

I know it's from a Triumph because it has a logo on the dampener. Sorry I should've mentioned that.

I thought maybe the lower sleeves could be wire wheeled clean then powdercoated. Maybe not though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are removable. They have a threaded plug on the bottom.

Most of the "sprinkle" is from where I was peeling the chrome off.

Looks like these might have come off of a 3T. I found a set on eBay that looks like a match. They are definitely pre-unit triumph from what I can gather. Heres a link to the eBay piece.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-Triump...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item46008cc787

So they might be worth cleaning up. All of the hardware is free and the rust on the sleeves is mostly surface rust. I'm gonna play with them and see if I can polish a turd.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
hell yeah,,fix it ,,sand blast the legs and paint em,,take a brass wire wheel to the tubes..or get new ones. How are the insides,,it they are stuck use tranny fuild with acetone and let sit ,,I've saved worse

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As was said, Triumph. More specifically, earlier pre-unit models with a nacelle. Those had the handlebars affixed with u-bolts.

Bob
You said it....I have the U-bolts and handlebars that were originally on it.

I have more time than money so "fix-it" it is!

I like taking something that most would consider junk and breathing some new life into it anyhow. I'll post some pics of the before and after.

·
Registered
168 Posts
By all means, clean off the rust and flaky chrome, hit it with primer/paint, run it.
However....Disassemble lowers from tubes/dampeners before you do anything. I purchased a beautiful chrome set of unit Trump lowers. The PO had unscrewed the tubes to remove them. The bushes and nuts at the bottom of the tubes were still in the bottom of the lowers and with time had frozen in the bottom. I fucking ruined the bores trying to get them out. I think the pre-unit ones are similar as to their innards (I have a set just like yours, just a little less rust and flaking)
I guess I'm saying check bore is unobstructed and usable before even bothering with the rust. At a certain point who cares about surface rust and flake if the legs/lowers are usable. A clean bore is important.
Good luck, Bruno

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info Bruno...and everyone for that matter. I'm gonna see if I can save these. I'll blast the legs and then hit them with etching primer and sand smooth then paint them. I'll also blast the yokes or just brass wire them then powdercoat along with some other stuff I need coated. I'll see if "Franks" has some repop tubes or if they think theres anything that they can do with them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.