Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone out there help? I have a W & W springer disc brake set up and I am using an early Harley, '72 thru '81, master cylinder, lever and switch gear. It doesn't work 'cos the bore on the master cylinder is 3/4" and the caliper requires 5/8" or smaller. Course I didn't know all this when I bought the controls 'natch. Does anyone know a clever trick to get this all to work or am I going to have to bite the bullet and buy the handlebar stuff all over? then maybe I could get out and ride it!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Matt D said:
Can anyone out there help? I have a W & W springer disc brake set up and I am using an early Harley, '72 thru '81, master cylinder, lever and switch gear. It doesn't work 'cos the bore on the master cylinder is 3/4" and the caliper requires 5/8" or smaller. Course I didn't know all this when I bought the controls 'natch. Does anyone know a clever trick to get this all to work or am I going to have to bite the bullet and by the handlebar stuff all over? then maybe I could get out and ride it!
You can get a sleeve made up and put inside your master cylinder to reduce it's diameter to 5/8". Then you can either turn your piston down to suit or pick up one that's made for 5/8" bore.

Scotty

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I thought this might prove helpful - a chart to help with master to brake cylinder ratios. Unless you have access to a lathe and lots of free time, there's no clever trick.

http://www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm

Matt D said:
Can anyone out there help? I have a W & W springer disc brake set up and I am using an early Harley, '72 thru '81, master cylinder, lever and switch gear. It doesn't work 'cos the bore on the master cylinder is 3/4" and the caliper requires 5/8" or smaller. Course I didn't know all this when I bought the controls 'natch. Does anyone know a clever trick to get this all to work or am I going to have to bite the bullet and by the handlebar stuff all over? then maybe I could get out and ride it!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I have access to a lathe but not the skills to turn up a sleeve and new piston but I'm gonna have a go, as an alternative does anyone know a company making sort of old style controls that would do the job? everything I have seen is a bit to billet looking for my tastes.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Matt D said:
Thanks guys, I have access to a lathe but not the skills to turn up a sleeve and new piston but I'm gonna have a go, as an alternative does anyone know a company making sort of old style controls that would do the job? everything I have seen is a bit to billet looking for my tastes.
I don't know what size m/c piston you need, but early Honda master cylinders look pretty cool & vintage, and can be had cheap. Some careful work with a dremel tool will help them fit a 1" bar. That ugly cap will polish up nicely.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Matt my friend! I used a small Grimeca on that BeeBob softail I did about 2-3 years ago..the lever that came with it was one of those high-tech black racey versions..I cutted a bar out of a billet aluminum plate, then a grinder, hacksaw, file, sandpaper and polishing paste came into the game..so finally the lever matched my left 60's H-D clutch lever..

Attachments

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Here's an Italian remote master cylinder... They also have the weld on tabs for your bar so you can use (their) Bicycle style levers... Probably not the cheapest sollution...:D

www.kustomtech.it

(check out also their worldknown finned rear drum)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Matt D said:
... It doesn't work 'cos the bore on the master cylinder is 3/4" and the caliper requires 5/8" or smaller...
so help educate me then, why would this setup "not work" .... seems to my simple mind it's better this way than having a Smaller master than "required"... a larger master means more pressure to the brake, right, so would'nt it "work" better ??

be gentle, my friends say that, to me, "hi-tech" is electric start.....

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
853 Posts
no, it means you pump more fluid per unit of lever travel, which equates to a reduced mechanical advantage. it will still stop you fine, you just have a heavier brake lever to contend with. i'm running the same setup on the flh with the stock master and the tokico caliper.

fab kevin has 5/8" masters for 1" bars, btw

1 - 11 of 11 Posts