Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point me in the right direction of a front brake master cylinder/lever set up that will fit 7/8 bars and has a 1/2" piston.
I've a special which has a 5/8 operating piston and feels 'wooden'. Been scouring the bay and peering at photos but can't see any with 1/2" cast into piece and if I message the seller they don't seem to know what they've got.
As usual, ' to go fast you've got to be able to stop'. who said that?.

·
Registered
403 Posts
so easy when you know where to look, but the price!!
ps this set up is for some Vincent flatties, don't do metrics, bleh !
From the pic you posted, it looks to me like you've already got Grimeca calipers on that bike. FWIW, with dual calipers you'd probably be better off with a 9/16 or 15mm master cylinder. You might find a 1/2 or 12mm won't even be able to get the brakes fully applied, and if it will it might grab harder than you really want. At least that's been my experience. YMMV, as they say. ;)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AP calipers. Has a 5/8"master cyl' piston at the moment and it's just like 'donk'. So you think I'm going the wrong way looking for smaller piston?.
I'm looking for more feel, feathering, gradual breaking.

·
Registered
403 Posts
AP calipers. Has a 5/8"master cyl' piston at the moment and it's just like 'donk'. So you think I'm going the wrong way looking for smaller piston?.
I'm looking for more feel, feathering, gradual breaking.
9/16" or 15mm is smaller than 5/8", just not as much smaller as 1/2. I think you're wanting to make too big a jump. I've only ever used 1/2" on single calipers.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
'Donk' is either on or off (really it's an Ozzy term for what's under yer hood, like 'a big donk').
Good point on the piston size and good knowledge. Maybe 9/16 would be a better starting point.
Thanks for the input, appreciated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts