Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got speedster handlebars with internal throttle setup and just got my 5/8 Master Cylinder and a 9/16 Master as well for a GMA brake setup Im working on. I like how the 9/16 looks compared to the 5/8 but Im being told that its designed for 5/8 MC. Anyways heres my issue both levers on the masters are sticking out about 2 inches from the bar end.

Does anyone know if I can get shorter replacement levers? Not sure if it would look weird?

Maybe a more compact front master from another bike that I can use?

Does anyone on here ever use the speedster handlebars? I know the bars and front end utilized the drum style but if I can get it fabricated to be disc up front that would be ideal!

Any help would be great. Attached a few pictures of the bars and both master cylinders. You cant really see to clearly how much it sticks out.

Attachments

·
Registered
689 Posts
All the cool guys are using a cable operated lever at the bars that runs to a hidden master cylinder under the tank to run disk brakes on the front end but still keep the bars old timey and simple looking.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All the cool guys are using a cable operated lever at the bars that runs to a hidden master cylinder under the tank to run disk brakes on the front end but still keep the bars old timey and simple looking.
That sounds like something I would love to do! Can you show us pictures or even a parts break down. Thats my goal is to keep things simple up top.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I will do some searching. I wish that I could take credit for the design, but I saw it here on the jj. basically you hide a rear master cylinder master cylinder under your tank, and have a lever that pushes the plunger. A regular front brake cable goes from the the lever at the handlebars to the lever at the master cylinder under the tank. then, a flexable brake hose runs from under the tank to the front caliper. I will see if i can find the thread and post the link, because a picture is way clearer than the rambling that comes out of my mind;).

·
Registered
48 Posts
The ONLY way to go.......hidden mc that is cable actuated. That hydraulic mc/lever just looks wrong on the early springer bars. My opinion & you know what they say about those.

·
Registered
755 Posts
This will probably come out worse than I intend it to, but what the hell - there seems to be an influx of people on this board lately that feel this is an entry-level board to ask a lot of intro questions. I'm not saying this is you, but it's getting annoying. Read the stickies - this is not that board and this board is not for everyone...so...

Dude - cut up the fucking lever. It's a $2 lever (at a swap meet), so who cares? If you screw it up you can either buy another and make it right, or buy a new M/C setup if you lost your taste for the process. Make it a learning event. Any time I make a part I assume I'm probably going to need to make 2-5 of them before it's right...that's life and not everyone gets a trophy for trying...determination is a thing of beauty. It leads to all sorts of door opening.

If you think this is un-approachable, screw that...there's a ton of fabricators out there with less formal education than you. Building a bike is about trying stuff out, trying it out again, and again, and again, and then hard work. This is not the what fits what board.

The degree of finish your lever will have is directly related to the amount of time you spend on it. It's aluminum so it won't be hard to cut up and you can sand the shit out of it if you really want it smooth. With work it will look as good as whatever you imagine it to be.

Right now I have a lever that hangs 2.5" off the end of my grip and I'm planning to cut and file. Believe me, if I had done it already I would post a pic...I'll post one when it's done. I may not get it right the first time, and if I don't I'll probably go to my dad's and fire up the mill and make one...and screw that up a few times. At least I will get some things out of the process.

No offense intended. Don't buy, build.

Saving money is always good! Not sure how clean its going to look cut down. Does anyone on here have a picture of there master with the lever cut down they can post?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Cut/file/sand. Or go to a junk yard and get a dirtbike lever. On mine, I'm going to cut some levers out with a plasma cutter and grind them down until they're mostly smooth, and run it just like that. I'm building a trashy looking rat-bike, though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
This will probably come out worse than I intend it to, but what the hell - there seems to be an influx of people on this board lately that feel this is an entry-level board to ask a lot of intro questions. I'm not saying this is you, but it's getting annoying. Read the stickies - this is not that board and this board is not for everyone...so...

Dude - cut up the fucking lever. It's a $2 lever (at a swap meet), so who cares? If you screw it up you can either buy another and make it right, or buy a new M/C setup if you lost your taste for the process. Make it a learning event. Any time I make a part I assume I'm probably going to need to make 2-5 of them before it's right...that's life and not everyone gets a trophy for trying...determination is a thing of beauty. It leads to all sorts of door opening.

If you think this is un-approachable, screw that...there's a ton of fabricators out there with less formal education than you. Building a bike is about trying stuff out, trying it out again, and again, and again, and then hard work. This is not the what fits what board.

The degree of finish your lever will have is directly related to the amount of time you spend on it. It's aluminum so it won't be hard to cut up and you can sand the shit out of it if you really want it smooth. With work it will look as good as whatever you imagine it to be.

Right now I have a lever that hangs 2.5" off the end of my grip and I'm planning to cut and file. Believe me, if I had done it already I would post a pic...I'll post one when it's done. I may not get it right the first time, and if I don't I'll probably go to my dad's and fire up the mill and make one...and screw that up a few times. At least I will get some things out of the process.

No offense intended. Don't buy, build.
thank you !!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.