Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1968 Triumph Bonneville T120R,

Having difficulty finding the correct socket to remove the front axle nut, 1-3/16" socket required. Any suggestions where I can find a thin wall, deep well socket that will work?

Also, I assume the thread is right hand (counter clockwise to loosen)?

Thanks, Robert

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
the 68/69 is a Whitworth nut, it's real close to 1-1/8" but it needs to be a 6 point socket deep socket.
I see on many bikes people have used a hammer and a punch to get the nut off.
standard thread nut, lefty loosen, righty tighty

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, on my T100C w 7" brake it's 1-1/8"; on the T120R w 8" brake it's slightly larger and measured across the flats is 1-3/16."

My six point 1-3/16" impact socket is too thick and won't fit inside the recess, so will keep looking for a thin wall deep socket. Yes, I can see evidence of punch & hammer work, previously.

Thanks again, Robert

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
you could go to Harbor Freight and buy a set cheap impact sockets and put them in a lathe and turn the diameter down until it fits into the recess.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a good suggestion. I'll take the 1-3/16" impact socket to a machine shop and have them turn it or grind it down to a thinner O.D. wall.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.