Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this? I'm trying to clean up the bars on my friends '79 sporty, but he wants to keep the front brake. Fair enough. Does anyone think it would be possible, or unwise, to run both the front and the rear brakes off the original rear brake master cylinder? I figure I would need a proportioning valve and some hard line but that would be it. Thoughts?
Shawn

·
Registered
967 Posts
First downside I can think of is that if anything happens you could lose both brakes and not have a backup - except your feet, maybe.

I also think that the bore of the master cylinder will be too small to effectively operate both brakes. They may put on some drag, but I don't think there will be enough force to apply a stopping force effectively.

Then again, I may be totally wrong.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've done it using both a Wilwood and Guzzi proportioning valve but I cant recommend it. You'll need a large bore master cylinder and the initial setting of 70/30 or 60/40. In the real world your mind proportions the front and rear braking pressures according to the road, conditions and "seat of the pants" feel. You will not have that option with that set up. It's safety VS asthetics.

·
Registered
179 Posts
search hidden front master cylinders, i've seen someone from here post pics of their setup with the master in between fat bobs operated by a cable. sweet setup in my opinion - well laid out.

otherwise as above, you need fluid displacement to operate the calipers, and as master area goes up to get fluid displaced, line pressure reduces, making a long pedal and less feel.

brandon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts