Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got this bike a while ago and it has been a here and there project. it started out as a pretty standard triumph bobber mock up, while it looked cool (as do all triumph bobbers) i felt i needed to take it up a notch and i was itchin to bend some metal. i will bring the project up to date and then maintain new post on progress from here till it hits the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't know how to draw anything but i do like to use solidworks on the computer as a hobby. so i took some dems and modeled a concept up while watching some lost. i hope that i don't get knocked for using such a new school technique. trust me i do plenty of old school stuff too. it does mean i get to use a blue print though but i am the one who made the blue print.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
...hello,
looking very good and you really have the skills; however, in my opinion you have there too much concessions in the fragility department.
Better to have a triangle up there in the frame loop (under tank tube)
The bracket to hold the rear spindle is very nice but I do not know about the resistance...
One thing for sure is you ll have a loose bike but very dangerous at high speed.
Also, these Triumph engines look way better vertical.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your input. not all the frame is there yet if you look closely in the render there is a tube just under the tank. more tubes to come in the rear section as well and the axle mount is nothing new, been done lots of times. as for the looks of the engines axis its all in the eye of the beholder i guess. this build is in progress and as you can tell there is not enough parts in these pics to have a motorcycle. just wait till you see the front fork i am sure i will get lots of comments that will disagree with what i have done there as well but thats the beauty of it, its my bike and i like it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would usually build a buck by hand, its more fun and i like working with wood. i decided though that since i had the computer rendering and i work with a water jet table i would try to cut one out on it. i would only do this again if i had a big time crunch or something. you just cant replace a good hand made buck.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fuck the haters. The frame looks cool and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.
thanks. i do appreciate constructive criticism and if i saw anything on their threads that had even a hint of the level of fab that is going on here i would take it into consideration but having a buffing wheel don't make you a bike builder. i know the look aint for everyone but its what i like.

·
Registered
398 Posts
i dig it! i dont see a thing wrong with the frame layout except the heims. they're gonna shear in that orientation. go back to the axle plate design as in the color drawing.

keep it going!

·
Banned
980 Posts
For starters you smartarse cunts I've been welding for 26 yrs and ridden with a bike club for 22 hardcore old triumph miles. If you reckon your gonna do otherwise than wheel that thing off a trailer to every bike show you put it in or do a few hero pub crawls on that frame doin 50mph with no triangulations or gussets good on ya mate, it'll blow all the squares minds.
Do you think dickhead who called me a hater I aint into custom bikes? I'm into safe custom bikes because I dig the brothers who do them but I'm concerned about safety too as I know of prangs and broken bones in the early days that have happened because of frame failure and better blokes than you getting hurt!
Fucken oath the frame looks good but staunch it up a bit if your really gonna ride that thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i like it... anything hand-built is cool... on top of the fact that materials and workmanship are way better these days than they were decades ago, and frames from back then were pretty skimpy all the way around, even offroad bikes... I think with a few gussets it will be fine.

Plus, like you said, at the end of the day, it's yours, and noone else has to (or gets to) ride it...

Fab on... cant wait to see the finish...

·
Registered
103 Posts
First off, stop apologizing for how you work. It's your bike, build it how you like. There's a lot of good (and bad) people on this board but for some reason the douches are like 10x douchier on here than most other sites. No matter how many temper tantrums and egotistical rants they throw at you JUST KEEP BUILDING and posting progress updates. Good luck, I like what you've done so far.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey, thanks to everyone that's posted so far. even daddy boy. he's got plenty of years on me with riding and welding and i respect that but in the same way that i try to respect everyone. this bike is far from done and don't even have motor mounts and believe me not all the tubes are welded in. i agree right now the frame aint got enough strength but that don't mean it wont ITS IN PROGRESS. stay tuned cause the front suspension is for sure going to not be everyone's cup of tea but the welds and the fab processes are still going to be to the best of my abilities and i don't plan on disappointing in that regard.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.