Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so i figure when it comes to bikes things are probably proportionally complicated to cars when it comes to building and such, but lets venture anyhow....

i have been wanting a sporty chop for some time now, and after seeing the el cheapo and polock joe's and a couple others i have to have one. so lets talk getting from here to there....

of course the best bet is to buy one already done, but i usually have better luck sniffing out deals than growing cash. so i'm going on the premise that i can get ahold of a nice early sporty for cheap...

so i dig up a paughco rigid frame and i have a donor...how much actual stuff from the donor (except for asthetic stuff like tin, wheels, etc.) can i use? and how much 'stuff' am i looking at doing to get it together? i'm sure its more than just unbolting from one and rebolting to the other...

or i decide to use a weld on hard tail...how much modding am i looking at to get it together...

just looking for general input. if its any easier than building these blasted cars, i might just sell the farm and start building bikes....anyone want a 60 chevy or a t bucket??

any input is appreciated guys. thanks.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I would definately suggest buying a donor bike and swap the frame. That way you have all the parts you need and won't get nickel and dimed to death with all the little shit.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'd agree with buying a complete bike to start with.

My little gold chopper was a complete running bike, I reused the front of the frame (with the numbers), the engine and rear wheel. Everything else I sold on Ebay. In the end I finished the bike for less than I had originally paid for it.
There are lots of good deals out there on old sportsters, running bikes for less than $3K, sometimes under $2K.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts