Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We found this photo of my gal's great aunt in a family album this spring. No clue where this bike is now. I'm by no means a HD expert, so could some of you chime in with what year this bike could possibly be? The others in the family think this photo is from sometime in the 40's high up in the mountains west of here near the family homestead cabin.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Hubba Hubba!!! Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooowwwwwww!!!
Call me kookie, but I love the look that women had inthe '40s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
967 Posts
Slipkid said:
Hubba Hubba!!! Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooowwwwwww!!!
Call me kookie, but I love the look that women had inthe '40s.
Gotta agree with you there. None of the waif-ish scrawny bags o'bones you got these days. Real chicks who weren't more concerned with their damn cell phones and ipods than being REAL.

There, I'm done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,633 Posts
Here is also a shot of my grandmother on one of my grandfather's friend's Harley. Made me feel like a real pussy to see my grandmother riding a foot clutch tank shift bike! There is also a shot of the bike itsself and a picture of my grandmother now on my bike. My mother asked me not to start it cause my grandmother wanted to ride it.


 

·
Tiny Member
Joined
·
1,453 Posts
This is a great thread.

I'm in the Adirondack Mountains at my parent-in-law's vacation home on the lake. The place is near Saratoga where there's a neat horse racing track. I did a bit of asking around and back in the 30's motorcycles were raced on the track. Boy, I wish I could get ahold of some of those pictures...or maybe one of the race bike packed away deep in someone's barn.

A boy can dream.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Man Beam me back to 41 looks like I Missed heaps old cool stuff

Long live the Ridgids

Man I dig them Pics.

Grunt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
967 Posts
Tony Bones said:
This is a great thread.

I'm in the Adirondack Mountains at my parent-in-law's vacation home on the lake. The place is near Saratoga where there's a neat horse racing track. I did a bit of asking around and back in the 30's motorcycles were raced on the track. Boy, I wish I could get ahold of some of those pictures...or maybe one of the race bike packed away deep in someone's barn.

A boy can dream.
I live about an hour south of Saratoga - it is really nice country up there. I did a quick google and found this picture from the Saratoga racetrack - looks like very early 20th century, thought you'd like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
I've posted this pic before but seeing all the old pics makes me want to drag it out again.

The pic is of my great uncle on his Indian and was taken about 1919 or 1920.The building behind him is still standing and I visited there last year.

He grew up in Pittsford Vermont(where the pic was taken)and he and his wife used to ride the Indian from Vermont to St. Augustine Florida every year.The distance was about 1800 miles and it took them nearly three weeks.Bear in mind that in 1920 the Interstate highway system hadn't even been thought of and an,"improved"road was one that didn't have deep ruts in it.Very few roads were paved.

After a few years he purchased a side car for the bike ostensibly for his wife to ride in but mostly used to carry what little luggage they took with them.

Unfortunately I never got to meet him as both him and his wife died many years before I was born.My aunt(who turned 94 this past April and has more on the ball than most of my friends)gave me the picture and related the stories.She is still looking for the pic with the sidecar attached.Please enjoy again.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,194 Posts
The "nouveaux riches" from those days...

(btw: I'm looking for a 3D star as bolted on the seat of this Knuck...anybody a source..? Slightly smaller also ok, but then I want 2 of 'em..)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
The stars are period accessories made by Atlas or was it Midwest????They do show up at swap meets.There is an Indian resto shop in SOCal that has a set but won't part with them!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Wow, my dad has one of those stars hanging on the pegboard
above one of his benches. I have been wanting to put it on
my Triumph but don't know where. It is an original. It has been
there for 30 years that I know of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Danny F. said:
The "nouveaux riches" from those days...

(btw: I'm looking for a 3D star as bolted on the seat of this Knuck...anybody a source..? Slightly smaller also ok, but then I want 2 of 'em..)
Danny, I'm thinking that those were also used as trim of 50's pontiacs. I have seen them, but maybe not pontiac.
 

·
Tiny Member
Joined
·
1,453 Posts
KnuckleBuster said:
I live about an hour south of Saratoga - it is really nice country up there. I did a quick google and found this picture from the Saratoga racetrack - looks like very early 20th century, thought you'd like it.
Just caught this. Very cool, thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,194 Posts
Bones777 said:
Danny, I'm thinking that those were also used as trim of 50's pontiacs. I have seen them, but maybe not pontiac.
Thanks man, I'm gonna dig into it now...
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top