Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what tricks exist to save the frayed end of throttle cables? I missed probably my last day of riding for the year yesterday because during the thrash to change carbs on the bike before dark the throttle cable became frayed and wouldnt go through the ferrule on the carb, only thing that kept me making it out before dark (dark = really fucking cold this time of year)

·
Registered
317 Posts
You might be able to get away with wraping it in electrical tape. If you can get it squeezed down to a shape you like, you can also solder it back together.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Whenever I put a new throttle cable on my bike, I mane it an inch or two longer that it needs to be. When the end becomes frayed and they all do, I cut the inner back about 1/2" slide the outer a few inches over it, remove the metal end cap, cut the outer the same ammount as the inner, slide the outer back, reinstall the end cap and your ready to go again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bugman said:
You might be able to get away with wraping it in electrical tape. If you can get it squeezed down to a shape you like, you can also solder it back together.
the solder works great, you can even grind it down if it dosent get all the way tight

·
Registered
317 Posts
Dan said:
solder it just like you would an electrial connection??
Yup, just like tinning wire. bundle it up, heat the cable and dab the solder on. it should flow out really nice, effectivly making the end of the cable a solid chunk.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Bugman said:
Yup, just like tinning wire. bundle it up, heat the cable and dab the solder on. it should flow out really nice, effectivly making the end of the cable a solid chunk.
Yup I am onboard with the solder, if you do it when you put a new cable on it's good for a long time and never frays.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
oldspeed said:
Yup I am onboard with the solder, if you do it when you put a new cable on it's good for a long time and never frays.
Done it for years on bicycles. You dont even need a torch, wooden match works fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts