Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
motorcycle enthusiast
Joined
·
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend Justin has a broken rigid frame bike . He found the seat tube is broken and I am thinking he should put all his parts into a nice swingarm frame . He seems to entertain the idea , but is worried he would need to replace almost everything but the motor & trans to make it work .

here's the bike , so you can see what kind of shit's on it . . . my ponderance is what would you have to do to make that bike into a fancy duo glide style bike . Obviously rear shocks & different rear fender , axle , spacers . . . obvious stuff . BUT what about the tanks , oil tank , foot controls . I think those would all come right over to the new frame , especialy if you get the frame new and let them know what kind of shit you have already .

Anyhow . . . input ?

 

·
Atomic Custom
Joined
·
3,829 Posts
Not a big swap, everything should fit just fine... Unless you are going to use a stock 4 speed FL frame, then you will have some work to do. If you are using an aftermarket frame for Evo, no sweat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Trent...Now Mike has me thinking swingarm...that bastard! It will be the same 102 inch evo, 4 speed kicker set up.
Trent said:
Not a big swap, everything should fit just fine... Unless you are going to use a stock 4 speed FL frame, then you will have some work to do. If you are using an aftermarket frame for Evo, no sweat.
 

·
Atomic Custom
Joined
·
3,829 Posts
chicoman7 said:
Trent...Now Mike has me thinking swingarm...that bastard! It will be the same 102 inch evo, 4 speed kicker set up.
No problemo, I can accomodate you just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
swingarms cost more then rigid...lots more little trinkets...if your using late model tanks on a old shovel swingarm you will have to run a bracket set for those right off the bat...different rear fender...FL bracket for that two piston PM caliper he got on there...shit I have most of the stuff dude needs right here also...going to a swap meet in mid August so if he bites into the swingarm deal drop me a line I will hook ya up with parts cheap...later Chaz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
896 Posts
=mike= said:
Okay, I'm not 100% on this, but I'll take a stab at it. I think the Evo motor may interfer with the seat post. The seat post on paughco rigid frames are recessed slightly to make clearence for the heads. I am pretty sure you can run a 5 speed tranny plate in a 4 speed frame without too much work. The flatside tanks from 85 on will not fit the 4 speed frames stock fatbob mounts.

A softail frame will except all of his stuff, that may be the way to go. Though as far as swingarm harleys go, you really can't beat the looks of the 4 speed frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
Voneville said:
Okay, I'm not 100% on this, but I'll take a stab at it. I think the Evo motor may interfer with the seat post. The seat post on paughco rigid frames are recessed slightly to make clearence for the heads. I am pretty sure you can run a 5 speed tranny plate in a 4 speed frame without too much work. The flatside tanks from 85 on will not fit the 4 speed frames stock fatbob mounts.

A softail frame will except all of his stuff, that may be the way to go. Though as far as swingarm harleys go, you really can't beat the looks of the 4 speed frame.
No Evo is going to fit a drop seat frame period, if you get it to, you will not have electric start due to the drop seat...65-up frame will allow you to go with electric start but still won't fit a Evo without modifying the seat post and back bone, late model flat side tanks will fit a 4-speed frame barring you have the conversion to do such which I do have on hand....if you plan on two-up swingarm is the only way to go I do have compassion for my ole lady on back so I would never haul her around on a rigid...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Chaz and Von...The frame i have now is a 25 year old Santee. I had to modify it to accept the Evo motor ( I was running a panhead in that frame) I have now. Its a tight fit but its in there :) . Between me and mike we'll make it fit. Trust me lots of girls said it will never fit, yet it does hahaha!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
chicoman7 said:
Chaz and Von...The frame i have now is a 25 year old Santee. I had to modify it to accept the Evo motor ( I was running a panhead in that frame) I have now. Its a tight fit but its in there :) . Between me and mike we'll make it fit. Trust me lots of girls said it will never fit, yet it does hahaha!
In that case put a bitch'n drop seat frame on that EVO...Heh.heh...kick only 2 you wusss...heh..heh...:)
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top