Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some input. I've shortened my springer a few inches, but I'm contemplating taking another 1/2" off. I do like the stance and I'm worried about going too short.

I need some opinions... see pic.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you get those rails level, you will be on the ground. Leave it as is, and craft the pipes low in front. My .02...
Beautiful bike!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
aj650 said:
is it close to level when you sit on it?

it looks fine to me
Thanks guys. My gut feeling is to leave it as is.
I'm just going to forget about going any lower.

·
Registered
145 Posts
wjjeeper said:
I should add that when the bike isn't on the stand it sits more level.
I'm gonna call bullshit on that one. Not possible from a geometrical standpoint. Whew! I can't believe I spelled that!

·
Registered
7,257 Posts

my .015 ..

thinking most of the dilemma is in where the axle sits with that rear section ..

you need, & want to be able to lower the front till the engine (& frame rails) are level .. usually easy with a bolt-on tail, but that must be a one-off ..

this is the stance seen on many unit BSA's w/weld-on tails ..

and sorry, I dont have an easy solution .. if you'll check, a stock 18" tire and a 5x16 SM avon are right at the same height .. that low profile one there still wont be but maybe a 1/2" shorter(radius) ..

since you're early into it I would seriously consider moving the axleplates lower on the rear triangle .. shoot for your clearance level at about where the lowest point is now ..

Good luck, keep us posted ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'd move your axle mounting plates to inside the rear "hoop". It would look better and could be made to sit level a LOT easier.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I purposely put the axle plates there. I wanted it to look a little lower in the rear. I'm 100% happy and leaving it as is now.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Looks good as is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wjjeeper said:
I need some input. I've shortened my springer a few inches, but I'm contemplating taking another 1/2" off. I do like the stance and I'm worried about going too short.

I need some opinions... see pic.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
wouldnt it have been lower if you had left the axle plates stock and shortened the front end.

wjjeeper said:
I purposely put the axle plates there. I wanted it to look a little lower in the rear. I'm 100% happy and leaving it as is now.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think that would have just lowered the frontend? No?

Please correct me if my thinking is wrong. This IS my first build afterall....

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
did divenci ask any bystanders if mona lisas smile looked right ? i know it's your first build and i shouldn't be breaking your balls but you beginners need to have a little faith in your own design abilities. that's where innovation comes from. if you ask 10 different people their opinion on ANYTHING, you'll get 12 different opinions because 2 of the fuckers can't make up their OWN mind. build it to suit YOU, not to suit someone else. of course if it turns out that you're a no talent hack, i'm sure we'll let you know :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts