Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wes I was just wondering your thoughts on the 530 big bore kits for the t100. Is it worth it. I need a rebore and new pistons anyways. I saw them on rabers website for $450. Can you get these? I think jrc makes them. Are they a piece of shit? American made? Ive heard horror stories on japanese pistons for Triumphs. Oh, and thanks for the email answering my ?'s I appreciate you taking your time.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Shall i give up a MAJOR trade secret on the T100 Big Bore Kit? Shall I make all the dealers mad right here? Shall i sell out my fellow hawkers of British parts? . . .

What the fuck? Take your T100 Jug and bore it out to fit standard 650 pistons with low compression domes. Cut the skirts off to match. . . Voila you got big bore kit for your T100. WAAAAAAAAAY cheaper and same result.

·
Registered
100 Posts
oh shit....he just gave away the whole farm.....and the keys to to car as well.....damn Wes.....thanks a load though....My buddy has a T100 and he`s gonna SHIT when I tell him this

hey,how much trouble to drop this extra 650 jug I got on his case?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just been reading this old thread about big bore kits for the 500 Triumphs. Anyone yet put in 650 pistons? By my calcs this would take out the capacity to 633cc. An extra 100cc over the advertised big bore kits? I wonder firstly if there is enough metal on the liner to take that size of bore and secondly whether the standard 500 bottom end, even with low comp pistons would last very long? Cheers, Glyn New Zealand.

·
Registered
895 Posts
thats a old trick using std 650 pistons, use daytona cams in it and it will pull real good upstairs

nzglyn 500's have different stroke, 530cc's is what it comes up to

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Dragon, are ya saying that the 500 Trans will work just fine?
I'm just saying, better to wait for someone with firsthand knowlege to answer, than to answer a tech query with "I think I heard...".

Try PMing member GumbyChuck, he's local to you and does roadrace Triumphs.

My local Triumph dealer/current engine builder had a sucessful roadrace team in the '70s & '80s; as did John Healy (a Brit parts distributor and moderator at Britbike.com), and his a dual-plugged 500....

**edit after common-sense consideration -

Triumph 500 and 650 have very similar designs....while never having heard of a "weak point" in the transmissions, you're adding 30cc to the 500.

Yet for decades guys have been bolting 750 aftermarket cyls onto 650s, with no noticable increase in gearbox problems.....

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Point taken! I will consult with some of my local guru's as well as GumbyChuck. I am new to the Triumph builders club, so I am always open to advice from the more seasoned guys!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Triumph 500 and 650 have very similar designs....while never having heard of a "weak point" in the transmissions, you're adding 30cc to the 500.

So, maybe I am projecting a bit, but if the 500 and 650 are very similar, what are the odds I can get a 650 crank to fit in my 500? Possible? The motor on the bike I just got is stuck right now, so if I am gonna crack into it, why not?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Oi, geezers!

Finally some discussion about adding power to the 500-Unit.
The STD 650 pistons are 71mm and the stroke in 500-Unit is 65.5mm, that equals 518.66cc.
So, what am I missing, when people talking about 530cc kit?
Doesn't add up.
So, are we talking about the added "almost" 30cc, cause the 500cc engine is actually 490cc?
Yeah I know, just happen to be "exact" about things said/done.
Excuse me...

And how about them low comp pistons, how low?
7:1 ?
7.5:1 ?
What would be the optimal to increase the volume without exploding the engine.

Recommendations please, thank you.

-Beat0-

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.