Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm looking to you for help, Obi Won Jockey...

The bike:
1979 Bonneville T140d. Bone stock (with Lester mags that =mike= loves!) Single front disk.

The problem:
Forks are sticking in their travel. They go down but don't come back up (man, that's a loaded line if I ever wrote one).

What I've done so far:
I noticed some gouging on the fork tubes, so I replaced them along with new seals and oil. I thought it might be alignment. I moved the forks up and down individually and they seemed OK (but I have no previous "point of reference" experience, so maybe they weren't OK). Put on the front wheel without tightening it. Moved the forks up and down. Seemed OK. Tightened the front wheel up (without the mudguard) and they stick. The only things I can think of now is that either the front spindle is bent. Or somehow the yokes are out of alignment with one another. I was able to get the tubes in painlessly, so I'm leaning toward the spindle.

The bike has had these "sticky forks" since I got it, so I can't say it was hit/dropped and that's what started the problem.

any info/help would rule.

On a side note, when I popped the top tube caps, there are spacers inside. But they're different sizes. Weird? Not weird?

·
Registered
396 Posts
McQueen said:
Forks are sticking in their travel. They go down but don't come back up (man, that's a loaded line if I ever wrote one).
its most likely just one of them thats "sticking"

push each independently to isol8 it (ie:sans wheel)

how new are the springs?

if never replaced...do it

McQueen said:
On a side note, when I popped the top tube caps, there are spacers inside. But they're different sizes. Weird? Not weird?
do the spacers and the springs overall length when together match each other?

if not ill vote weird

·
Registered
396 Posts
McQueen said:
I'll yank 'em apart and check again.

Independently, each leg seemed to work fine. But I'll check the springs!

Thanks for the info!
i misread it man...if they work fine independently when off you got something else tweaked

is there a point when tightening the wheel that they quit poppin up?

check the length deal out for sure tho

·
Registered
19 Posts
McQueen said:
OK, I'm looking to you for help, Obi Won Jockey...

The bike:
1979 Bonneville T140d. Bone stock (with Lester mags that =mike= loves!) Single front disk.

The problem:

What I've done so far:
I noticed some gouging on the fork tubes, so I replaced them along with new seals and oil. I thought it might be alignment. I moved the forks up and down individually and they seemed OK (but I have no previous "point of reference" experience, so maybe they weren't OK). Put on the front wheel without tightening it. Moved the forks up and down. Seemed OK. Tightened the front wheel up (without the mudguard) and they stick. The only things I can think of now is that either the front spindle is bent. Or somehow the yokes are out of alignment with one another. I was able to get the tubes in painlessly, so I'm leaning toward the spindle.

The bike has had these "sticky forks" since I got it, so I can't say it was hit/dropped and that's what started the problem.

any info/help would rule.

Check to see if all of the wheel spacers are present and correct,it could be that one is missing/wrong size and is pulling forks out of line when spindle is tightened,I doubt if the spindle is bent as you wouldn't get it through the wheel and forks without major grief.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts