Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I realize the chart is for the tubes, BUT, I have a 92 FXLR. According to the chart, it should measure 23.5".
On my fork, coincidentally maybe? It is 23.5" from the bottom of the fork leg to the middle of the lower triple tree.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't understand the problem or your confusion on this,
Forks over stock length, understock or stock lengths, are ALL taken from one end of the fork Stanchion (Tube in the USA), to the other,
with the many choices of oil, springs & of the Stanchions themselves (still Tubes in the USA) available,
& with so many makers of them out there over the years, the only accurate way to see what you have is to take them apart completley & measure them,
they must come apart to be rebuilt anyway, so why not just get wrenching (in the USA) or Spannering (in the rest of the world) & then work out what lengths you want,..
the 2'' or 4'' or 20'' 'over' tag only applied when Harley only made basically one length fork tube in the late 40's through to about 1976 on FLH model bikes, big twins with wideglides all left the factory with 22.5'' Stancions from what I remember, some had 'over' length forks as stock but that started with later production bikes etc.....
& as since then they have made many many model bikes with diferent length forks,.... it is kinda a mute point,
example, does an FXS have 2'' over forks ? as standard theirs were 2'' longer,but stock to that model as fitted by the factory, IF you wanted tubes 2'' longer than stock FXS, do you get 2 overs (from stock) or do you get 4'' overs, as FX FXE models had 3'' shortr tubes than the FS had anyway, where is your DATUM POINT when talking of 'Overs' ????
if placed next to an FX, who in turn have +2'' tubes compaired to an FLH with wideglides with only 20.5'' tubes,..will that make your 2''overs on an FXS actually 6'' overs when measured .
if i were you,
I would dissasemble whatever forks you have, & measure the things, & get what ya want, it is the only real way to know where ya stand, & easy to du on a sunday morning

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the trees but no tubes. scoot on lift for mockup. I have it sitting how I like it but not sure how to order the tubes. They don't measure them the same as wide glide or springers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
right, now i understand your position,...
do you have sliders or a front wheel ?
question 1).. what sliders are you going to use.(FX, FXS, SHOWA, FXWG,FLH, WIDE , NARROW OR KAYBA ? OR EVEN OFF OF A NEW HARLEY) ya need toknow as there may be internal length diferences SO LONGER OR SHORTER TUBES, IF YOU HAVE NO FORKS, BUY A SET & USE AS A MOCK UP & IF OVER TUBES ARE NEEDED MEASURE & USE
...............2).. what wheel diameter, THEY MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE ON RIDE HEIGHT & LOOKS,
...............if without anything other than yokes (Trees in the US) all i can surgest is find someone with the same set up that you want, ask if they know their length, with the bike lifted so at full extension, then make a dummy fork the length you like with a wheel center height added then take one from the other to find how much longer you need, if the ones you measure for instance are 2'' over as per the sales garb, & you want yours 4/6/10 etc iches longer, add it to their measurement .. mock it up with plastic plumbing pipe&you should be close

1 - 16 of 16 Posts