Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
... into a single-shocked, lighter weight (at least some!), FORMER-cruizer. Saw a similar thing done to a Sporty using a Buell swingarm and shock. I am desparate for my Dyna to go on a diet! I've been fairly unafraid (nuts?) in the past about putting my daily-rider motors in other frames. I have done this twice back in '04 and '05. Would like to do something like this... but with a TwinCam motor that's been breathed on a bit. Opinions, swearing, cussing... anyone for a mint?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Honestly unless you have a fab shop, a single shock on a regular (double sided versus single sided) swingarm wouldnt save much weight. Also taking a stock Dyna frame and doing this would be a headache. Now if you do and have a CNC machine and a big chunk of billet, you could save some weight and with said machine shop, you could build your own frame.

The thing with sporties (and Buell) is its a one piece design (motor and trans in same cases), which means the options for customizing is easier.

With a rubber mount motor/trans/transplate set up, you would need the rear suspension to have the rubber pieces at the main rear swing arm bolt to make it ride like it was designed.

Also the Twinkie has more limitations with the frame size and so on. Forgive my ignorance on the plethora of aftermarket availability for Twin cams, but I havent worked them much. My custom bike experience is limited up to Evo style motors, yet included rubber mounts. (which if is built wrong or not lined up right will give you're leather cheerio a workout death wobblin tank slapper, pray the ass nipple you leave on the seat is the ONLY damage the thing gets)

This is an endevour for a fabricator who knows his shit with twin cams, rubber mounts and frame design.

Not saying your not, but you left alot up the imagination.

This is not a good idea for your average "garage doctor." And if you're doing it just to do it and not win the next biker build off (if they ever come back), the amount of money time and effort really wouldnt be worth it, to me.

Just my $0.02....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thinking about turning the Dyna frame into a backbone/trellis type frame AND adding a single shock swingarm from a Buell. Also hoping to quicken the steering a bit by mounting the rear shock end high enough to get some rear travel AND steepen the steering head angle a tad. Of course the Sporty in the top pic still has it's whole frame despite the Buell swingarm/shock (old style under the frame). Buell XB's, however, basically mount the Sporty motor/trans/swingarm assembly (as in the bottom pic) directly to a trellis/backbone style frame. On my Dyna frame I would keep the backbone and the rubber-mounted engine points intact; delete the bottom tubes of the frame (after the downtubes and reinforced motor mounts); add the buell swingarm to the bastardized frame (using the motor/tranny as a stressed member).

·
Registered
457 Posts
remove the down tubes from the dyna frame and it will twist up like a twisty thing. The front engine mount would have to moved up to the head. Pretty tricksy. Why not just make your own frame? use the H-D neck so the Man will still love you. I have an 1125r swing arm, it attaches to the engine not unlike a dyna. I'm interested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.