Jockey Journal Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Yeah I was wondering if there were different thicknesses. I thought about you when I got them.....I guess that is what I get for trying to save some dough. What thickness are the "good ones?"
Irish Rich said (post 40) that the original legs are 12 gauge. That's around .105". So anything around 1/8" should work.
Larry T

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
front wishbones will not work. whoever is telling you that doesnt know. those are like 2.5 inches thick! you want to use 35-48 rear radius rods.

·
Registered
157 Posts
greasy has it right,35-48 rear,if you have to cut up good vintage ford parts the might as well go on a bike

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
As I said earlier, someone did a write up on making their own, for the life of me, I cant find it though.

The jest of the write up was, he took seamless tubing, slit it into, mocked it up on the trees and cut wedges to fit between the tubing to give it the taper he was wanting. More work involved but, he got what he was wanting with out compromising and didn't have to cut up anything else.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Our shop used to get these extension kits from Midwest in the late 70's and early 80's. After they quit selling them, I contacted Buchanans and was told that they were getting out of the frame and fork repair business. A company called GTE( good things enterprises) in Northern California supposedly got the Frame straightening and fork jigs etc. I was told at the time that most of these company's got out of doing this kind of work because of liability issues and ridiculous insurance rate increases. I don't know how much of this is accurate, but this is what I was told at the time by people I talked to at these company's while trying to track down fork extension service or kits. Hell, before Sarafan and others raided Dixies stash of springer parts, you could buy a set of 45 springer front and rears for less than $75.00, and the Midwest extension kit for around $50.00 and have at it. I remember Sarafans first ad in the bike magazines after he scored on the 45 springer stash. You could buy a complete 45 springer for $350.00 from him. That sounded great until you realized that about a year earlier you could get everything from Dixie for about $125. I'm not knocking Dave, I've done business with him over the years and he's a great guy, and knows his flatheads, but its a shame when all these good old (inexpensive) sources dry up. Such is life

·
Registered
506 Posts
My sheetmetal guru is storing a '40 Ford truck at my place for a few days. He has a buyer for the nailhead and plans to prep, prime and flip the sheet metal; the rest gets binned.

If there's any interest in the rear radius rods, I'll salvage them and send them to a new home for a box of beer and shipping...

·
Registered
506 Posts
I can put you in touch with the owner, Kelly Yukiw, but shipping might be an issue: we're 500 miles north of the US border... Kelly knows what he's doing; there's a '65 Mustang he restored and a '36 Chev truck in his shop at the moment, as well as his mid-engine '40 Chev COE. If he's parting it out then it's for good reason.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The radius rods are now spoken for.

greasystain; I will PM you when the parts are off the chassis (next few days).

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
i cant believe you scrapped that stuff man..... you said the drum was rusted on or something but i see one laying right there loose on the trailer! the rear drum takes a puller to get off you gotta heat the hub around the shaft, smack the end of the bolt with a hammer with the puller on and it pops right off.... rusted or not.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts