21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
thats the shit right there!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would'nt mess with the oem. You can buy a the length you want for cheaper, then sell your Harley springer that is correct for someone trying to restore their bike and have money left over!
Ron

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
^^^ You can buy complete OEM style repops up to 20" over..(chrome or black)

I believe from 12"-over up to 20"-over they have 3° extra in the stem and slightly longer rockers to get the trail to an acceptable amount..

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I think there isn't a more handsome frontend then a properly extended HD springer with a nice taper. I recently was gonna build one from a the back leg of a botched job i got at the swapmeet, but wound up getting a nicely extended one for way less than i would have paid myself to do the work. i'll dig up a pic.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Anyone know if "Mr. Moore" ships to the states and how much? I like his legs. (That sounds kinda bad)
Off topic, but if I was gonna buy a new springer I sure like Paughcos narrow tapered leg springers.
Larry T

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have 2 sets of radius rods if anybody needs them. Also fronts will work also. In the old days its the only way we had to extend a springer. Had these for 45 yrs stored in the rafters

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
A couple months ago, I started with these parts.......

....and extended them with radius rods. Worked pretty well. This springer I did for myself. 8 3/4" over stock. I could have gone 30" over stock easily with the radius rods I used before I ran out of "taper" on the radius rod itself.

Probably the best set of radius rods to use are the seamless '46-'48, but I couldn't find a decent set in town, or a set that was a "reasonable" price, so I used '29-'31's. Like springers themselves, radius rods (especially the late ones) are getting scarce. Not only are you competing for them with others that want to extend a springer, you're also competing with the rodders for them.

The early radius rods are seamed, and usually full of rust scale. I cut the axle bracket off, and I poured at least a cupfull of rust flakes and dust out of each one. Took them over and had them tanked, and they were fine. You'll have to weld up the seams, and they'll bow a little, but a quick trip to the press straightened them out just fine. I think the hardest part was making the sleeves for the back legs.

I'm getting ready to do another springer, but I think the guy has located some seamless radius rods for me to use. Lots easier, but I wouldn't do this job again for somebody without some $$$$$$$.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Irish Rich,
Looks great! I don't guess you did a step by step did you? Larry T
Not really a step-by-step, but I had a series of posts on my blog that thumbnailed some of the mechanics as I went through the process:

http://irishrichcustomcycles.blogspot.com/2011/05/month-goes-by-like-nothing.html

http://irishrichcustomcycles.blogspot.com/2011/06/its-getting-there.html

http://irishrichcustomcycles.blogspot.com/2011/06/pretty-much-finished.html

Here's how it looks all assembled, and mounted. I'm still working on the project.....

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Irish Rich, Don't know if the taper is right or if they'll work, but Speedway is selling split radius rods now.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Split-Wishbone-Style-Radius-Rods,36046.html
The gauge is right, the OEM radius rods are 12ga, and the taper looks about right, but you'd have to do something on the ends to mimic the ends of the back legs of the OEM springer, so they will take the rocker pivot pins. You could do it, with a little thought. On the OEM rad. rods, all you have to do is heat the ends, and bend them straight, then build up the hole so you can drill them to take the rocker pin's threaded section.

But, $300.00.....I paid $90.00 for my early seamed rods, and I thought those were pretty pricey, compared to the prices just a little while ago at the automotive swap meets.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts