Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right I'll be crossing Texas riding to New Iberia LA just after Thanksgiving.
I ride a chop with a pretty small gas tank (2 gal.), about 85 miles autonomy. Few questions to the local riders, how is gassing along my road? Any long strech without pump I should be aware off? How about motels, I'll be stoping for the night right before or right after Dallas depending on how quick I go, any place I should avoid or any place you recommand (cheap places where I can wheel the bike in the room)?
Also is the best way to avoid Forth Worth and Dallas trought the Interstate crossing them or should I plan something else?
Here is the plan:

From Albuquerque NM to Amarillo TX on I.40 then after Amarillo, southeast on 287 via Menphis, Childress, Witchita Falls, Then Dallas.

After Dallas, still heading SE on 175 via Athens, Lufkins, Jasper, crossing into LA at Merryville.

From there I guess I'll pursue SE on 110 to Singer, Longville and South to Lake Charles, then East on 14 all the way to New Iberia via Abbeville.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
If you can make it between Albuquerque and the state line, you can make it to Dallas with no problems. There are small towns about every 30 miles or so on I-40 and 287. Be sure to slow down going through Estillene (around 90 miles east of Amarillo), it's a notorious speed trap. You might have to get on the brakes to slow down quick enough to stay legal.
Larry T

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, it look like I'm crossing a bunch of little communities all along the road just want to be sure they are big enought to host a gas station.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Thanks, it look like I'm crossing a bunch of little communities all along the road just want to be sure they are big enought to host a gas station.
Almost every little town has a 24 hour Allsups.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats funny you said that grub someone just told the dude the same thing in Another thread. It's that or some sort of modern monk voes of silence.
Anyway thanks for the replies guys I feel better now.
I'll have to watch speed closely Larry, i heard that about Texas, cops don't cut much slack on speeding.
That can be challenging I have no speedo and get carried away easily...

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
I have found that riding across Texas the best roads are the FM (farm to market) secondary roads. They are generally all in really good shape, wide shoulders, no traffic, and the legal speed limit is higher than US highways.
I-40 to Amarillo will suck big time. The road surface is terrible and the big truck traffic is endless. You could go back roads to Clovis, then on to Lubbock and do a long gradual diagonal all the way across passing above Austin but below the DFW madness, and all the way to the piney woods country and into LA. I came back to NM across there a couple years ago and had plenty of places to gas up (not a little tank though but towns are everywhere, not like NM) and places to stay.
Robbie

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Robbie your damn right I hate I40 and it's grooved concrete finish I was trying to short my travel on it as mush as possible and migth just follow your advice and go trough Clovis period, no I40 to deal with.

·
4,048 Posts
Maybe a 30 oz. MSR bottle might be money well spent?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I have a stainless bottle I usually cary water in, I might convert it to fuel or just buy another one. Just in case I screw up on my fuelling schedule.
Well actually the schedule should be fairly easy it's gona be "see a pump and fuel" all the way. :D
It's an easy ride, lots of stop...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I have a stainless bottle I usually cary water in, I might convert it to fuel or just buy another one. Just in case I screw up on my fuelling schedule.
Well actually the schedule should be fairly easy it's gona be "see a pump and fuel" all the way

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just did the same route. SF to Barstow hit the 40 to the 287 from Amarillo to Dallas then on to New Orleans. Outside of Albuquerque all the way to Fort Worth we had some serious steady headwinds and some nasty wind gusts'. Granted we were in a 16' Penske truck. Saw a lot of riders that looked like they could have used a V8 drink. Our fuel consumption went though the roof. A trucker told us it's always windy this time of year.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I grew up running the roads in West & Central Texas, and I'll second the Clovis to Lubbock idea. The I-40 route is not only deathly boring, but it's serious rancher/******* country. Anytime I ever stopped between Memphis and North Dallas, I felt like I was in that old Bob Seger tune...

Lubbock-Sweetwater-Brownwood-Austin-Houston-Beaumont is a relatively pretty, fast ride, especially if you stay off I-10.

From Lubbock I'd:
hit 84 to Sweetwater
Turn south on 70 to RR153 to Coleman
SW down 84 through Santa Ana to Brownwood/Early
then follow 183 all the way to Austin.

Where I'll buy you the best burger in Texas if you're so inclined :D

From Austin you can run down 71 to I-10 if you want to do freeway, or across 290 to 105 or 90 into Lousiana. I'm not that familiar with the Houston-Baton Rouge corridor anymore, so you're on your own there.

As far as fuel is concerned, the only tight spot is between Sweetwater and Brownwood - you'll want to do that stretch between 8am and 9pm.

Do NOT break the speed limit anywhere near the TX/NM line or through Post, Snyder, Early, or Giddings, including 5-10 miles out from each burg.

Finally, keep in mind you're drawing a long line across a damn big state:
Clovis to Lubbock - 100 miles
Lubbock to Austin - 370 mi
Austin to Houston - 170 mi
Houston to LA line - 110 miles

Doc

·
Registered
17 Posts
Im in Lake Charles. Hit me up if you need something. From Lake Charles to New Iberia it will be much fast and smoother if you just take I-10. I know you probably want to void the interstate but it is freshly paved. Hwy 14 will take you WAY out of the way and is in much worse condition in some parts.

call or text if you need any help, got all the basics in the shop.

Ben

·
Registered
212 Posts
It's funny you can tell as soon as you hit the state line into Louisiana. The roads turn to shit. Has to do with the drinking age in years past.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the replies guys, i appreciate the help.
docs, a burger sound good, if on top it's the best burger in TX, doesn't this make it the best burger in the world?
I'm gonna do my homeworks tonight and check your suggestions on the map. I'll let you know what I do.
Ben thanks I appreciate I wrote your # and you can remove it from public post if you want. I'll definitly hit you up when I'm in the area.
I don't own a cell phone but I guess I'll take one with a limited card for this trip.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have found that riding across Texas the best roads are the FM (farm to market) secondary roads. They are generally all in really good shape, wide shoulders, no traffic, and the legal speed limit is higher than US highways.
I-40 to Amarillo will suck big time. The road surface is terrible and the big truck traffic is endless. You could go back roads to Clovis, then on to Lubbock and do a long gradual diagonal all the way across passing above Austin but below the DFW madness, and all the way to the piney woods country and into LA. I came back to NM across there a couple years ago and had plenty of places to gas up (not a little tank though but towns are everywhere, not like NM) and places to stay.
Robbie
I'll ditto all this. At least you won't have 115 degree heat like I did in July... The back roads are the best, especially if you're not in a huge hurry.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts