Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
saw a bike in a mag that had a headlight that looked like it had a copper "tint" to it, I think the article said you did it?? How'd you do that?? Is it "top secret" :), can I "copy " it (seems to be alot of talk about copying dudes ideas around lately :)) thanks-

·
Atomic Custom
3,829 Posts
Dan said:
saw a bike in a mag that had a headlight that looked like it had a copper "tint" to it, I think the article said you did it?? How'd you do that?? Is it "top secret" :), can I "copy " it (seems to be alot of talk about copying dudes ideas around lately :)) thanks-
You can take scotch brite to chrome and get a copper tint.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool, so I would burnish the inside of the headlight bucket to get the copper color and that would show through the lense??

·
Registered
243 Posts
Dan said:
cool, so I would burnish the inside of the headlight bucket to get the copper color and that would show through the lense??
I used steel wool on the refelctor in my headlight. Its an old spotlight, the chrome came off very easy, now it is a really nice copper color, and it does shine through the lense. Looks cool and was cheap.

·
Registered
176 Posts
On one of my head lights I used some blue chrome spray paint on the reflector part of the head light and got a nice blue tint. They also have red and some other colors.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Do you have any pics of that? It sounds neat.

B + M said:
I used steel wool on the refelctor in my headlight. Its an old spotlight, the chrome came off very easy, now it is a really nice copper color, and it does shine through the lense. Looks cool and was cheap.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
you guys are way off. its just a vintage amber fog light that is made from unobtanium.

seriosly if its joses bike your talking about i picked up a rad light and gave it to jose on perm. loan for the bike...it has a neat "peaked/ribbed" amber headlight

supposedly its off a 30's GM fog light.

i saw a set on ebay go for a few hundy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1933...596600000QQcategoryZ34207QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
1,736 Posts

ive gotten about 200 emails (really) since those articles came out looking for a light like that.

the ebay ones and the one i got are the only ones ive ever seen....i posted on the hamb with no response other than the ebay auction too.

edit: i should note. amber lights are extremely common, i guess its the peak that makes this one unobtanium.

-Rob

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, it was on Joses bike. went home last night to try and modify mine, realized mine is a sealed beam...so if I'm gonna change the color I obviously need an ?? old ?? headlight that has a seperate lense, reflector and bulb assembly?? you cant cut a sealed beam apart can you, wont that ruin it??

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Dan said:
yeah, it was on Joses bike. went home last night to try and modify mine, realized mine is a sealed beam...so if I'm gonna change the color I obviously need an ?? old ?? headlight that has a seperate lense, reflector and bulb assembly?? you cant cut a sealed beam apart can you, wont that ruin it??
if you just want an amber light search ebay for amber fog lamp throw the words chopper "old school" etc. etc. in there.

dont think they work worth a shit and arent DOT legal though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
In Ohio you have to use a white ONLY headlight. No colored bulbs
or lenses. So you should check your state laws before the investment.
Rob

·
Registered
72 Posts
Django said:
I have been looking for a 7" amber lens for months. They are all 5 3/4".
If you have a replaceable bulb headlamp(H4 style)you can try a european parts supply place to see if they can get H4 bulbs for either France or Nigeria.Both use yellow bulbs.Probably have to be a special order.

When I worked for the Mercedes-benz dealer,we got a bunch of them from an outside supplier(I think it was Metrix Warehouse in New Jersey) by mistake.

You might also try an aftermarket fog light supplier.I believe Marchal and Cibie makes a 200mm yellow fog lamp.They only use single element bulbs though.

·
Registered
967 Posts
safariknuttoo said:
If you have a replaceable bulb headlamp(H4 style)you can try a european parts supply place to see if they can get H4 bulbs for either France or Nigeria.Both use yellow bulbs.Probably have to be a special order.

When I worked for the Mercedes-benz dealer,we got a bunch of them from an outside supplier(I think it was Metrix Warehouse in New Jersey) by mistake.

You might also try an aftermarket fog light supplier.I believe Marchal and Cibie makes a 200mm yellow fog lamp.They only use single element bulbs though.
I remember when I went to France for a couple weeks back in High School, ever bike I saw had an amber light.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts