Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so this may sound silly but has anyone heard of or know of footboards being used as full controls i think harley had somthing like this at one time think it was the clutch but anyhow im thinking of having foot boards being my co trols with the clutch and to shift anyone see this being possible i know the clutch could work out but how would it work for shifting? so let me have all the answers yall got wether im retared or its a cool ass idea

thanks

·
Registered
355 Posts
You would just need to create an arm coming off the front of the footboard going up that would connect to an arm coming off the transmission. You really couldn't put a lot of weight on the footboard though because then you would inadvertently shift.

Not a dumb idea like mentioned above, you would just need to engineer it to work without constantly putting pressure on the shifting linkage. I'm sure that could eventually wear down the gears in your tranny.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats what i thought but what about somthing like this only the levers would be connected beneath the footboard and just have the pivot slight tension so its not so free to pivot but i would probably have somewhat smaller footboards just wonder if its possible to get the proper movement to actually shift

·
motorcycle enthusiast
2,656 Posts
I think it's a pretty bad idea for a bike that you ride a lot . You put a lot of different weight & unweight on your feet while you ride . I could see this inadvertently clutching and unclutching as well as accidental shifting up & down in a tight corner or during some traffic maneuvers .

Too many weird things going on in my opinion .

·
Registered
426 Posts
you can do it, you just have to be a mad scientist wizard of the winding twisties that are the catskills region of NY- look up or wait to see if Fritz chimes in, as ive seen it in action but couldnt even begin to explain how it was accomplished

·
Administrator
7,802 Posts
ok so this may sound silly but has anyone heard of or know of footboards being used as full controls i think harley had somthing like this at one time think it was the clutch but anyhow im thinking of having foot boards being my co trols with the clutch and to shift anyone see this being possible i know the clutch could work out but how would it work for shifting? so let me have all the answers yall got wether im retared or its a cool ass idea

thanks
I saw a picture of a brake side floorboard that worked as a floorboard/brake pedal. Reminded me of something like the old high beam switches that cars used to have on the floor. That would operate the brake as you put toe pressue on the floorboard. Can't remember where I saw it, but it definately seemed goofy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Enough time and money and anything can be done. I think that there is a good reason why this is not a mod that is seen see very often, or at all. It would be too easy to shift or brake or clutch at the most unsafest time possible. For example, have you ever braced your feet on the pegs to reposition your butt in the seat? Or to lift out of the seat to ease the pain of a unavoidable VW bug sized chuckhole?

·
Registered
748 Posts
been done plenty of times...hell, a friend of mine just built some at his shop for a customer and was none too happy about it. looks clean but it's not too functional of a way to do it and is a lot of unnecessary work for something likely to put you in a ditch at some point.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Just think it thru, sketch your ideas on paper, and then create it.

Make it do what you want it to.
On my last build, I decided to run hand shift. But my girder fork had no front brake at all.

No biggie, but then there's always the hill/stop scenario:
(a) I stop the bike for a light or traffic on a steep incline
(b) I must have my right foot holding the rear brake so I dont roll.
(c) I must have my left foot on the clutch so I don't stall
(d) do I fall over?

My answer is no. I move the clutch to somewhere else. Right?
(a) can't use left foot, how about left bar?
(b) can't go on left bar, cause left hand must shift. How about right bar?
(c) If clutch is on right bar, can I clutch and throttle with same hand?
(d) fuck it, move throttle off of bars entirely.

I finally decided to put throttle at right foot. Yes Right foot does rear brakes.
But, you never need the rear brake AND the gas at the SAME TIME.

So, here's what I did:
My right side floorboard controls. This will be for rear brakes & throttle.

I had this extra bung welded on my frame:

Then I designed these brackets, and had my buddy Kevin cut em out:

I got some heim joints and made a pivot for my aluminum floorboard:

First part on frame:

2nd part w/master cylinder:

Floorboard on:

Pivots back for brakes and forward for gas:

Finished product on bike:

It works very well. It feels perfectly natural, just like driving a car.
It does not go full throttle when I hit a bump, just like your elbow does not yank your twist grip W.T.F.O, when you hit a bump.

Anyone who knows me can attest to the fact that I rode that bike all over the northeast this past year, including the Gypsy Run and the Greasebag Jamboree in New Hampshire.

Have at it!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok so after hearing and seeing some stuff im def scratching that thought thanks for all the input but yea dumb idea for me now

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've been running floorboards that actuate the clutch and brakes respectively. My bike is an everyday rider and 10,000 miles nothing has gone wrong. Its not a dumb idea if you are smart enough to figure out how to do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts