Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some guidance. I've got an early '79 FLH with a Ratchet top
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Thinking about a foot clutch pedal and hand-shift. I've seen Fabricator Kevin's site, he offers a shortened cable and mod to the pedal to accept the cable. Was told that the clutch throw would be very short? Any experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, was thinking a Jockey shift off the trans as apposed to linkage with a tank shift. Again, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
tank shiftings easier & is not a bad way to ride,
but if your into looks over practicality go for the jocky shift off the transmission,
personally I found it harder & at times frickin scary with a jocky shift when an 18 wheelers comming at ya when a miss a gear & need to ster with both hands,
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank

I found tank shifting more positive.
also they are all different as to how far from the pedal pivot point the cable needs to attatch, the closer to the pivot point the cable attaches, the greater the press will be & the clutch more controlaable, the further away fron the pivot axis, the shorter the push & you get a more ALL or NOTHING type clutch,
I tried a few mount points till I got the feel I wanted,
after I was surprised how natural it felt, just like driving a car

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
2 different things to consider

original tank shift is a different trans cover and parts and gas tanks to go with the tank OEM shift and the early tanks fit and they make aftermarket ones as well - the 1965 pan had a clutch arm that could be used for the foot clutch and for get the cable all together — money to do it this way

second way - frame leg shifter the police bikes adapted - its a forward jockey not location selected
this works best with a real type foot clutch as it stays in location when you need it to at a full stop

seen this 2 ways — one guy used a hand clutch lever on the shifter < not a fan but it’s been done

and a 45 servi car type clutch pedal - lift to go like a car - push forward to disengage - no stay in place so your foot can go to the ground - reason it works with 3 wheels and was never used for 2 wheels OEM

think simple is the cheapest - more money gets you the cool stuff

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good insight Pete. Thanks for posting the picture of the cable and linkage. Been giving more consideration to a Tank Shift. John, was looking at the Hand-shipt trans tops vs. the adaptive linkage for the ratchet, not sure if there is a gain there. I as not really consider simple/cheap but more in the lines of less is better. When I got the bike it was a bagged lighted chromed nightmare. Just looking for simple function.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are also tank shift set ups that utilize the ratchet top. I have a one set of tanks with a smooth gate and the aforementioned cable for the foot clutch.
Then I have a frame mounted “police style” shifter with a SMOOTH gate and a rocker clutch with linkage set up for the ratchet top.
Lastly I have the conventional rocker & linkage foot clutch arrangement with a frame mounted NOTCHED shift gate and a select top on the transmission. This would be the appropriate factory set up for a 1979 Police Special. I’m not sure if the hand shift was a PD ONLY option or not but it was offered until 1979 (to my knowledge).
I have had true “jockey style shifters as well with a press pedal and hand shift attached to a ratchet top but have NEVER ridden a select top hand shift. That’s one of my current projects. 1940 UL in a ‘91 softail frame

1 - 5 of 5 Posts