Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intro first: Long time member of the HAMB, 29 years old, build hot rods and do graphic design for a living. Live in West Central MN and just (re)aquired my first bike, and I know that the wind speed velocity of an unladen swallow is roughly 24 miles per hour.
Now for the questions:
Ok, so I just got in trade a '62(?) Triumph Pre-Unit hard tail frame and sheetmetal. It obviously was some kind of show bike back in the '70s. Now the problem lays: I have no idea what to do now. All of my experience has been in cars, VERY little in bikes. Wheres a good place to look for drivetrain, parts, suspension, etc? Or, what would be a good drivetrain to put in its place? I have no ideas, here but want to get learning some of this stuff. Any advice will be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

I've received a lot of leads and help from the HAMB, but DrJ referred me over here.

·
Registered
344 Posts
hey bud, the trump guys on here can certainly help you out with any technical questions, but coming from another car guy, don't be afraid to get stuck in and use your car styling ideas on your bike, i got a load of parts off my 52 kemp on my bike and i love every one of them...

looking forward to seeing some pics and welcome.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
man, i saw that post on the hamb...

here we can help ya with anything you need...

post some pics!!!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
There is enough room in a preunit to fit a unit motor . The engine plates are getting harder to find . Also preunit parts pull more $ . You can fit a BSA unit or preunit in the frame also Norton atlas will fit . It all depends on how far you want to take it . If you just want bolt together find the correct drive train and expect to pay for it !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Trumpnut said:
There is enough room in a preunit to fit a unit motor . The engine plates are getting harder to find . Also preunit parts pull more $ . You can fit a BSA unit or preunit in the frame also Norton atlas will fit . It all depends on how far you want to take it . If you just want bolt together find the correct drive train and expect to pay for it !
Thanks Trumpnut. I'm not looking to restore the thing at all, so don't need a 'bolt together' setup. Stuff like BSA or Norton motors and parts to make something like that work is exactly what I'm looking for.

Scooter, You are the MAN! You've helped this s.o.b. out a lot, I'll get pics up ASAP.

I should add, that I'm really into the board racer look or the cafe style. Parts and sites to help me in a direction like that are great.
Anyone got pics of Triumphs built like that? Or any custom Triumphs for that matter.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Today is your lucky day. I got a 61 650 twin for ya. Needs a rebuild,carbs and pipes. comes with spare motor complete to connecting rods. lemme know if you're interrested.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I may be VERY interested. What are you looking to get for it? How far are you from Morris, IL? Maybe work something out around the Pileup. Thanks.

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, minor update.
I've been lurking around here for a while now, reading as much as I can about this bike and, what I've come up with is: I'm in over my head. If any of you know me, it takes a lot for me to admit this, but this got me. Now I'm wondering if I should try to sell it and put the money towards a more complete metric? Should I leave it at the front of the shop for conversation piece for a while? Any ideas? If I do sell, what would something like this be worth? I have enough (hot rod) projects, but I do want a bike. Damn dillemas.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
My money says Triumph UNIT 500cc Front section (loosely, still not convinced 100%) and a Harley rigid rear section grafted to it. Look at the flat trans plate and the axle dropouts? I see HD . . . but all that plumbing pipe on the bottom where the motor cradle is, that IS NOT TRIUMPH. maybe HD??

Could the whole thing be early sporty??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
See, theres the other problem. Until I can be 100% sure what the hell this thing is, I don't want to start gathering parts for it. I was told when I got it it was a Triumph, others have said the same, until now. So, I dunno.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wowcars said:
See, theres the other problem. Until I can be 100% sure what the hell this thing is, I don't want to start gathering parts for it. I was told when I got it it was a Triumph, others have said the same, until now. So, I dunno.
Get a pic of the entire frame side on, can't really get afeel for the rear end from the shots you've posted. The front end doesn't look like a pre unit Trumpet but it could have been heavily modded over the years?

Frenchie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.