Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stars have aligned, I found a four leaf clover in my salad, and the machine shop is finally getting going on my Panhead.

Is their value in shaving a little weight off my wheels? If so, how much? Nothing trick or special for internals...8 to 1, Andrews AB cam, cleaned up heads, a good balancing.

Or is this a recipe for disaster?

·
Registered
26 Posts
heavy flywheels rule... And the higher compression the better for me... How about polishing those rods? since you have them apart.. Looks real cherry when you tear that motor apart and see polished rods...

·
Registered
338 Posts
My brother lost some weight off the flywheels in his Shovel, he said he definately noticed a loss in torque. It runs like a mofo on the top end though.
I would imagine kickstarting would be harder with lightened flywheels.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Tony Bones said:
The stars have aligned, I found a four leaf clover in my salad, and the machine shop is finally getting going on my Panhead.

Is their value in shaving a little weight off my wheels? If so, how much? Nothing trick or special for internals...8 to 1, Andrews AB cam, cleaned up heads, a good balancing.

Or is this a recipe for disaster?
I built some Harleys with light flywheels, If you look at stroker wheels from Truett and Osborne I think you will notice they (at least use to) give you the equivilent of 2 right hand wheels. I have noticed a loss of low end grunt but as some folks have said quicker revs on the top end. Interesting a friend of mine once put 80 inch flat head wheels in a pan, now normally what you did was weld plates to the inside of the case to act as scrapers for oil control. He had steel hoops made that fit over the flywheels to build then larger in Diameter. Never saw a smoother running stroker, had gobs of low end power and that additional weight on the flyweels made that bike run like a train down the road. I wouldn't bother with light wheels for the street, if I was building a drag motor I would. A CH I built had light chromed wheels in it at one time reved like a basterd, but hit it at 50 in top gear and nothing, once you down shifted watch out. I think careful detail to putting it together and as some said polish what you can to keep the oil from clinging to the rotating parts, is the best way to go.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have lightened flywheels in my EVO stroker. Noticble loss of bottom end, but that could be attributed to the 44mm carb. Top end is a wonder. Hit the throttle at 3000RPM and it goes like a rocket. Below that, it pulls ok, but I'd back away from flywheel gouging in the future. Fast is fun but torque throughout the RPM range is much better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Caffeine's stuff looks the tits... Man, nothing says you know what your doing when you polish those rods and look how cool that crank looks... Oh yea, there are benefits to polishing that stuff... so do it already..:)

How about that post?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts