Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a decent replacment battery for a 72 FLH (current one bit the dust this weekend, on the road, but that's another story). I noticed that most of the new AGM or gel batteries offered don't come in an early 70's FLH version. Big Boar apparently has one in the works but is not currently available.

My two questions:

1. Any recommendations on an FLH replacement battery? Is there any reason why I couldn't use a different model, like for a late model HD, or are there amperage issues to worry about?

2. If I swap out the stock side-by-side oil tank and battery set-up for a horseshoe Paughco style oil bag/battery combo, could I use a different battery then?

thanks for any tips. oh yeah, the bike has a dual-plugged 88ci S&S motor and a dyna ignition, if that makes any difference on the amount of juice needed

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I swapped out the FL battery tray for an FX one on my old FL . Unless you're running a bunch of accessories you should be just fine. Modern batteries put more amps in a smaller package.As far as the wraparound oil tank, they tend to hold more heat around the battery and some people think it adds to a quicker demise.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I always ran a battery from SEARS for my FLH, easy to find and abouyt 20 bucks cheaper. They have a book for you to find thew right one.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
bustedlifter said:
.....As far as the wraparound oil tank, they tend to hold more heat around the battery and some people think it adds to a quicker demise.
And what if you mount your horseshoe oil tank as in this picture...? WTF...?
(Cyril Huze "Signature Bobber rollers"...)

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
Boa said:
I'm looking for a decent replacment battery for a 72 FLH (current one bit the dust this weekend, on the road, but that's another story). I noticed that most of the new AGM or gel batteries offered don't come in an early 70's FLH version. Big Boar apparently has one in the works but is not currently available.

My two questions:

1. Any recommendations on an FLH replacement battery? Is there any reason why I couldn't use a different model, like for a late model HD, or are there amperage issues to worry about?

2. If I swap out the stock side-by-side oil tank and battery set-up for a horseshoe Paughco style oil bag/battery combo, could I use a different battery then?

thanks for any tips. oh yeah, the bike has a dual-plugged 88ci S&S motor and a dyna ignition, if that makes any difference on the amount of juice needed
I'm gonna get ragged for this, but here goes. I use HD batteries, the last one in my 78FXE, kick and electric start lasted 8 years. Good Luck.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
huh, this post is back from the dead.

i'm going to ditch the battery all together this winter and go magneto, kick-only, etc. gotta keep trent in business.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Danny F. said:
And what if you mount your horseshoe oil tank as in this picture...? WTF...?

That's not a horseshoe tank wrapped around the battery. So the answer is obvious. And that bike is no bobber.

HD batteries work alot better than sears or K-mart. Although they are alot more expensive. Still, I hate buying anything from HD but shovelhead starter systems arne't very efficient so you need a good battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts