Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I've finally got the ball rolling on my project, wheels should be done in two weeks (gotta paint the hubs, then have spokes made up), and I'm starting to think about paint. I want something pretty flashy to juxtapose the rest of the bike. There's a brief glimpse of Gene Romero's bike in 'On Any Sunday' with "Burrito" written on it and that looks pretty sweet, definitely the type of look I'm going for. I've searched vintage flattrack sites and this site as well, but I haven't found anything yet.
Any of you guys got some photos (prefferably colour) stashed away of some flattrack tanks with cool paint jobs? I'm thinking something with flake.

Thanks eh!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've done the same search but still not found any tanks with a flake job and real flashy. I've seen plenty of the run of the mill styles, just want something that stands out.
All the paint jobs in the world had to be thought up by somebody. Why not let your creative juices flow a little?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Don Castro's 250 triumph flat track bike has a killer paint job ,side views do not do it justice ,you have to see it from above .Sorry I dont have pics ,Anyone here got any ???.
The bike is in Dan Rouit's flat track museum, I havent searched all the pics on the site http://www.vft.org/rouit.html but there was one in the fourstroke Short track gallery http://www.vft.org/RouitMuseum/Gallery/ShortTrack4Stroke.html but not a good shot of how all the paint is layed out from above.I will stop babbling now.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Don Castro's bikes, by far were the best looking bikes out there and probably one of the ones that used the metalflake to it's fullest. Don was sponsored by Tracy of the Fiberglas Works. The people that made all those crazy body kits for just about everything that rolled back in the 70's. Below is one of the wildest falt track bikes of all times. It's Don's Triumph with the Fiberglas Works body on it that the AMA banned from competition. I restored it over the past few years. I had 7 days in applying all that freaky flake to the body.

Like some one said above. Use your imagination. Make it what you want. As for color pix of flat track bikes with flake paint jobs. They are far and few between. Everyone used B&W back then. I still can't come up with a color photo of this bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I don't want to copy someone, I'm just looking for inspiration really. I've always had pretty basic tanks so I just want to get an idea of what looks good with that style bike. I'm building a street tracker out of a bike that cannot be mentioned here. I've just sold my Norton Commando back home in Canada (in Aus now) so I'm trying to build something up on a budget and as an everyday rider. It's my first attempt at building something custom.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.