Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
morn n, enjoyed look n threw your build photos,. could you share a bit more info on the trans build? have seen a few flatie builds, you did a great job. gw

·
Registered
710 Posts
+1on the trans info. I'm yanking the flattie out of my ’51 Merc (wife wants more power and modern conveniences like a/c and p/s, women...) and dropping in the dreaded SBC. I was gonna sell the flattie, but now you got me thinking! Also, what did you register it as? Nice work, she came out sweet!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
+1on the trans info. I'm yanking the flattie out of my '51 Merc (wife wants more power and modern conveniences like a/c and p/s, women...) and dropping in the dreaded SBC. I was gonna sell the flattie, but now you got me thinking! Also, what did you register it as? Nice work, she came out sweet!
Oh the SHAME of it all!

·
Registered
935 Posts
one post and I hate you already.welcome to the site ,you smoked the intro,thats so sweet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gee, Thanks guys, i build cycles to ride, not really to show or sell. I had always dreamed of having an Indian 4, but realized i'm getting older, and the chances of that ever coming about were slim. The flathead V8 was the only substitute. Most of the ones i saw online used the extremely hard to find V8 60s, or were monsterously misproportioned. They also all were using a single speed right angle gearbox and stock clutch, and were said to be a bit impractical for a daily rider, and a handful to start out, especially uphill. My soulution was to use the torque convertor and front cover/pump from a Dodge omni. I used a 12" saw blade to adapt it to the V8 flywheel,
utilizing the original pressure plate bolt holes. Also used the Dodge's front clutch after cutting the planetary hub off of it. I shortened the drive shell and welded it to a stub pto shaft, driving a short chain turning a goldwing 1500 shaft drive rear end. The case was made from 9"x1/4" steel tube counterbored for the pump/cover and rear bearing cover. Using cardboard templates, i laid out the steel bellhousing and welded it up after truing. I routed the pump output to the converter with a relief valve from a yamaha, and ran pressure to the clutch via an external ball valve ,allowing for neutral. The stall speed matches the V8 well, smooth solid take offs, and acceleration up to 95+. The old flatty is being fed by a side-draft S&S Super G, and runs smooth and strong. It has proven to be a hassle free daily rider, and a blast to ride!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts