Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1937 flathead U model. In the process of assembling my bottom end. I installed the new cams with endplay set at @.007-.010. It spins over with the cam cover installed but there is a ever so slight amount of drag it seems like. I pulled the cam cover and can see the scavenger pump drive gear move up and down slightly as it rotates with the spiral gear. It slides on and off the pinion shaft freely without the scavenger pump installed. It really tightens up when engaging with the scavenger pump gear. With the cam cover off it still has the slight amount of drag, leading me to suspect the spiral gear or scavenge pump gear.When I tore this motor apart the old spiral gear had a couple of sheared off teeth. I assumed it was from the pieces of wrist pin keeper that went through the bottom end. Maybe not. None of the cams are binding and the wheels turn freely without the scavenger pump/spiral cut gear installed. Any help appreciated on where to go from here.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turned out to be a shit repop scavenge pump drive gear. The slots were machine off center....wtf? I put a OEM one in that was not in the greatest shape, but no more bind...smooth as silk.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts