Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a long time comming. I got a 1975 flathead motor about 3 years ago. (Miami police service w a contract to produce them after 74)
Bought a frame w pre unit tranny already fitted up. I shaved some 35mm showa fork tubes and hydro dipped them. I'm going to paint the whole bike white. (On the fence about painting everything white... Engine, tranny frame etc). This will be my first complete build starting from a frame from here and a power train from there etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Ah, that's gonna be fun. I'm not crazy about the low-tunneled fuel tank (although the tank itself is swell); but, y'know, fuck what I think. It'll be a nice bike.

White all over kind of makes me think: matte black wrinklepainted engine etc. Maybe it got done to death, but it was a great look in the '70s.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
this is one I built when I was a punk assed 16 year old when ya THINK ya want an in ya face paint job,
& a pic of how it ended up painted blue,..... I prefered the more subtle paint, but I was young....
your bike, do what ya want, but think first as you have to live with it....

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would not paint the crankcase. I used wrinkle paint on my divorced KHK cases and ran an open belt drive. The amount of dirt flung around by that setup quickly ruined the paint in that area.
I actually just stripped it off yesterday

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Looking good, keep it coming. I wouldn't paint the engine, tranny ect.... as said your bike.

L

·
Registered
126 Posts
I got a 1975 flathead motor about 3 years ago. (Miami police service w a contract to produce them after 74)
Just out of curiosity, does the engine number end with H5? I've heard about some Flatheads being assembled after 1973 but they were said to have 73 engine numbers.

I also notice the left case has a number boss and I realise it was left in the casting for a while after 1969 but has that case got a date code? Thanks.
Eric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts