Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Triumph Bonnie head from a guy for a screamin' deal since it had a broken fin on the bottom. Fully accesable for welding! Anyway, other than using a donor head for a fin, has anyone fabbed their own and TIGed it on? If so, what type of aluminum did you use? I have access to a lot of different aluminum and would like to utilize it instead of buying a head to cut up if possible.

·
Registered
770 Posts
scootermcrad said:
I picked up a Triumph Bonnie head from a guy for a screamin' deal since it had a broken fin on the bottom. Fully accesable for welding! Anyway, other than using a donor head for a fin, has anyone fabbed their own and TIGed it on? If so, what type of aluminum did you use? I have access to a lot of different aluminum and would like to utilize it instead of buying a head to cut up if possible.
You could maybe even just add material and graind it back down. Some guys do it to elongate the fins and make them look cool. It looks like you can go pretty far with it too.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fin is broken off all the way to it's base. Let's put it this way, if I made one I would probably use something that measured 1"x4" to cut and shape and then weld in place. I'm pretty much beyond just building it up. Any thoughts? What the hell kind of aluminum is used when casting these heads anyway?
tbone16 said:
You could maybe even just add material and graind it back down. Some guys do it to elongate the fins and make them look cool. It looks like you can go pretty far with it too.

·
Registered
630 Posts
scootermcrad said:
The fin is broken off all the way to it's base. Let's put it this way, if I made one I would probably use something that measured 1"x4" to cut and shape and then weld in place. I'm pretty much beyond just building it up. Any thoughts? What the hell kind of aluminum is used when casting these heads anyway?
Most places cut fins off a junk head when repairing.
That way the cast surface looks "right".
If you make one out of a piece of flat stock, it won't have the grainy cast look
to it.
And they're made of porous oil soaked crap aluminum, real fun to weld.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point! I didn't think of that. I'm not sure I really care anyway though. I'm going to polish all the fins anyway.
GumbyChuck said:
Most places cut fins off a junk head when repairing.
That way the cast surface looks "right".
If you make one out of a piece of flat stock, it won't have the grainy cast look
to it.
And they're made of porous oil soaked crap aluminum, real fun to weld.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome! You're the man! That's what I wanted to see! I really don't want to butcher up a head for one and I can do that virtually for free. Now, I just need to figure out what kind of aluminum to use. I know some aluminum is way easier to weld than others. Any of you master welders out there know what I should use? I'm pretty sure I have 6061 or 2024 available. Probably others too.
Matthew in SD said:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found out that Triumph heads are casted from DTD 424 Aluminum Alloy?? Whatever the hell that is??! Can someone enlighten me as to what that is? I've never heard of it? For you aluminum welders out there, what can be welded to that type of aluminum

·
Registered
240 Posts
scootermcrad said:
I found out that Triumph heads are casted from DTD 424 Aluminum Alloy?? Whatever the hell that is??! Can someone enlighten me as to what that is? I've never heard of it? For you aluminum welders out there, what can be welded to that type of aluminum
I asked for you over on the Hobart board...they have a few guys there who know whats up...you can follow it here: http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/showthread.php?p=170563#post170563

hopefully somone will answer....

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts