Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just looking for a bit of advice with this one.
I have cocktail shakers on my 79 and im getting a wee bit of blowing from the gaskets holding the shakers to the head pipes.

Its not causing the bike to run bad or anything but its giving a wee bit of black residue around the gasket and i thought id better stay on top of it just incase. Is it bad news to run like this for a short time?

Ive tried tightening the gasket right up without pinching the pipe but it still blows. So ive looked around and a lot of people recommend copper based sealent then re clamping the gasket and leaving for 24 hours.

Any other solutions besides welding?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hi temp Silicone sealant. And, no it will not hurt anything but maybe your ears. I once rode my '66 3-4 miles with the rear pipe broken and wide open. I had to hold my leg way out front to not get burned by all the fire,LOL!

·
Registered
887 Posts
The high temp copper sealant is the best stuff I've found for exhausts. Are the shakers notched? I mean where they slip on the pipe, are there slots/slits that will compress when clamped? If not, you could cut some, just like other mufflers are cut.

Then just coat the inside with some of the high temp copper and let it sit overnight. Start it up and get it to temp, then you can cut the excess off once its setup.

Sixball

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.