Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, i have just fittet a 883 evo sporty motor in my 1973 xlch frame, and now i cant get the rear fork to fit, theres not room betwen the motor and the frame, and it sucks.... does any of you people have iders to what i do to solw the problem? i must tell you that here i Denmark where i live modifications of the frame is by law, not an option......

·
Registered
270 Posts
By rear fork do you mean the swingarm? Need a picture to see what the clearances are. Oh and do you mean you can modify the frame or can not because of laws? Would like to help.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
If you can mate post some pics. If you arent sure how its quite easy. Just join photobucket.com and once you have the pic uploaded copg the

·
Registered
431 Posts
It's going to be the spot just left of the rear motor mount. On Ironheads it has a notch to clear the pivot bolt/nut. You're prolly gonna need to cut/weld the offending portion of the primary case to make room, assuming you have the space behind the clutch, of course. Pics would be nice, but I think that's where the problem lies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys, i dont seem to be able to post pictures( have tryed) your right its the space betwen the backside of the clutchshield and swinger that makes the problem, its that damn stator wire output. but welding is not an option for us here in Denmark, the authoreties wil confiscate my bike and fine me right into hell if i do......

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thank god the government is protecting us from all those dangerous welded bikes. maybe a freeze plug and then a new hole for the wires?

·
Registered
213 Posts
ya, some laws don't make sense. where i am the handle bars can't be more then 15 inches over your seat and to pass a safety i have to have a front break and both fenders

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have been looking at the inside of the clutchhousing and theres no room for moving the wires, maybe a swingarm from a 1979 sportster is a posibility, but i cant find the specks anywhere?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i have been looking at the inside of the clutchhousing and theres no room for moving the wires, maybe a swingarm from a 1979 sportster is a posibility, but i cant find the specks anywhere?
The '79-'81 swing arm is the same as previous models with regard to the pivot end that attaches it to the frame. Of course, it's a rectangular tube cross section and for use with disk brakes but that doesn't change anything for your purposes.

Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is there anyone who knows if a rear swinger from a 2005 sporty will fit on my 1973 frame, that migt do the trick with the problem with space betwen frame and clutchhousing, it seems to bee a bit narrower than the original????

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Is there anyone who knows if a rear swinger from a 2005 sporty will fit on my 1973 frame, that migt do the trick with the problem with space betwen frame and clutchhousing, it seems to bee a bit narrower than the original????
Not likely. The 2005 swing arm mounts to the engine/transmission case. The odds that it would interchange with a '73 are slim to none.

Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts