Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1948 Panhead cases. I want to know what modifications are needed to be made to a 73-80 Shovelhead oil pump to work with 1948 cases to properly feed the pinion shaft and the top end. The top end is fed through internal passages in the cases. The Shovel pump will feed the pinion hole in the Pan cases, as the holes line up. The case hole to feed the top end lines up with nothing on the pump. There is a chamber next to the pinion shaft feed hole on the Shovel pump. I can modify the shovel pump body to allow the top end feed hole in the cases to access this chamber in the pump body. There is no oil feed into this chamber. I could cut a passage into the pump body that would allow some of the oil pressure from the pinion feed hole to also feed oil into this chamber. I looks to me like it would work. Has anyone done this? Would there be enough oil pressure to feed this chamber and therefore the top end , while at the same time feed adequate pressure to the pinion shaft? any thoughts or information would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have 1948 Panhead cases. I want to know what modifications are needed to be made to a 73-80 Shovelhead oil pump to work with 1948 cases to properly feed the pinion shaft and the top end. The top end is fed through internal passages in the cases. The Shovel pump will feed the pinion hole in the Pan cases, as the holes line up. The case hole to feed the top end lines up with nothing on the pump. There is a chamber next to the pinion shaft feed hole on the Shovel pump. I can modify the shovel pump body to allow the top end feed hole in the cases to access this chamber in the pump body. There is no oil feed into this chamber. I could cut a passage into the pump body that would allow some of the oil pressure from the pinion feed hole to also feed oil into this chamber. I looks to me like it would work. Has anyone done this? Would there be enough oil pressure to feed this chamber and therefore the top end , while at the same time feed adequate pressure to the pinion shaft? any thoughts or information would be appreciated. Thanks!
Check with S&S. They have the cross-references and even drilling templates, I believe.
Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts