Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I'm in the process of dismantling the engine from my 71 TR6C. Things have been going pretty well so far. I've got the top end apart and the timing cover off. I'll probably pull the clutch today. I've been holding all my questions until I can put a short list together and ask them all at once, so here goes. I appreciate any help. This is my fist time doing this, so I apologize up front for stupid questions.

#1 I have a 71 Clymer manual, a 71 factory parts catalog, and a cd with just about every other peice of factory info and manuals on it EXCEPT a 71 factory shop manual. Would I be able to use the 70 TR6C factory manual in it's place? or are the specs that much different?

#2 I've been trying to take my time and do it right, but I already made a stupid mistake, and didn't mark my pistons, pushrods or rockers as to their original locations. I plan on installing a 750 kit anyway, so that solves the piston issue, but am I screwed with the pushrods and rockers? It looks like I have to replace the rocker spindles anyway because of some scoring. Or does original location even matter?

#3 The term "excessive play" has me a little confused, because without knowing what is a tolerable amout of play in any spindle to bushing/bearing fit, I can't really be sure as to what is considered excessive. Is there a general rule of thumb?

#4 What are the Triumph service tools that I REALLY need? Are the pullers and drifts all Triumph specific? or can i get generic stuff that will work. If so, any sources would be real helpful.

I think that's it for now. Any help is really appreciated!
Thanks!
-B

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
im in the process of doing my 66TR6R and id say the pullers are a really really big help.

the cam and crank pullers.

oh yeah be carefully pulling the clutch center with a gear puller. if it doesnt ome off easy, and a whack with a hammer. save it until to take the tranny apart then you can tap it through with a mallet (carefully)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That helps... I actually orderd a clutch puller from British Cycle supply. It was only $11. I need to finds these other two... they were out of stock. Anyone got a source for the cam and crank pullers?

Thanks
-B

·
Registered
269 Posts
Get a hold of Wes from Four aces cycle. 'fouraceswes' on here.
He's a good guy to deal with. I bought my pullers from him, along with some other stuff..
And will be buying most of my rebuild stuff from him as well..

And like you, i'm rebuilding my first trump too..a 71 tr6r..

Good luck.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Dragon said:

re manuals ..

you should pm or post to member Classicbike - Dave has cd-copies of the original Tri-Cor manual that Triumph used to train their and dealers' mechanics ..
priceless for the 'official' version of practices & procedures ..

email me with your address and if your email can handle a large file ill send it if not its $15 shipped

1 - 6 of 6 Posts