Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a brass fuel tank and oil tank built in Egypt. I am curious on how to seal these. I am pretty sure its not done like you would a reg tank, but have no clue how to go about it. Heres a pic of the tank.

I appreciate any help I can get on this as it was made to fit on the BSA and I am trying to get the bike up and running towards the end of this summer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow! Not many like that!

I don't know that you need to seal brass; it won't corrode like bare steel. If you were running ethanol it could be a concern.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Billdozer1811 said:
Wow. Any more pics? Mind sharing what the inscription says?

-Bill
The inscrpition is my naick name Prime-8 in Hyrogliphics. I could have my babe back home take some more of the tank sides, on one side it has Crazy Bro.s, they were the guys that hand crafted it and they do it the old fashion way, you can see all the dings in it from the ball peen. The rest is chiseled design. Takes awhile for them to do it. I got the oil bag done like this, a chain guard, rear fender, and heres a pic of the handle grips, made out of 30 MM shells found in the desert.

The grip on the left is the Pharoh of the hunt and the one on the right is the Pharoh of the harvest. I figure the hunt will be the throttle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DosTrumps said:
Wow! Not many like that!

I don't know that you need to seal brass; it won't corrode like bare steel. If you were running ethanol it could be a concern.
Well, I know that the metal is more porus then steel and that it tarnishes easy. I have a couple clear coats on the outside as of now, but I cant clear coat it again without losing the color. When they do the color they put it in a kiln of some kind with different chemicals, for the silver, gold and bronze look.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Billdozer1811 said:
Holy shit. King Tut is going to be pissed when he finds out you ripped off his bike!

That thing is going to be nuts when it's all together. Not the usual understated flat black rock-a-billy machine, that's for sure.

I kinda like the 30 mike-mike grip idea.

Good luck,

-Bill

Thanks man, I just came up with the idea, a couple of Egyptian guys did the rest. I stripped the parts from the BSA and they modeled the brass from them. I sat at their shop amazed at how the whole process is done. I still have their buisness card somewhere. I bought the BSA out there from a guy named Hamdy Shams who deals with antique everything, Nortons, BSA, Harley. There wasnt much out there eventwise or many riders, a few Jawa's of course, but they are all over the Middle East it seems.

·
Registered
617 Posts
are you putting it on the Flyrite? I was in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, back when we used to be able to paruse the shops in the down town area. There was some really nice craftsmanship down there. It's cool you took advantage of it to have a tank made. It looks badass.

Do you even need to seal the inside of it?

Mitch

·
Registered
617 Posts
sorry I just read youre putting it on the beezer. either way it'll look cool as shit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mcotie said:
are you putting it on the Flyrite? I was in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, back when we used to be able to paruse the shops in the down town area. There was some really nice craftsmanship down there. It's cool you took advantage of it to have a tank made. It looks badass.

Do you even need to seal the inside of it?

Mitch
Its the same craftsmanship. Did you ever get a chance to sit and watch them make anything? Its amazing, and defiently a lost trade.
I am trying to find out if I need to coat the tank, I dont think I will need to coat the oild tank, but the gas tank im not sure what to use or if I have to or anything. Plus I have to get it pressure tested yet.
I had the rear fender made the same way, of course its been cut short and goes into a point. Right now I also have the British spanner wrenches and manual in route to the house, so when I get back its the project next, hopefully anyway. A guy is giving me a crotch rocket to Rat out, so I may end up turning my head a little. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts